What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

blackberryjam

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #1500 on: September 23, 2014, 20:14 »
Nothing today BT were putting up a new telegraph poll next to my plot, they kindly let me have the old one to use as  a border , lol should last for years. :D

Snoop

« Reply #1501 on: September 24, 2014, 11:07 »
Had a walk/slide about in the mud. You'd never know I'd planted half my calçot bulbs, they're now so deep in mud. Most of my radicchio seedlings got eaten in the night, so snails do like them after all. Most of the chicken compound is inches deep in mud. The real treat discovery, mind, was a bag of used nappies left by one of our visitors with kids. It was left in a bucket and other things piled on top. The bag had a hole in and the bucket was full of rainwater. Guess who had to deal with that? Hint: it wasn't Mr Snoop and there's no-one else here but me...

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1502 on: September 24, 2014, 16:42 »
Yayayayayay manure delivery  8) rich sawdusty good stuff.  Sod the bad back & shoulder- 4 barrows sorted!  More tomorrow.

Cut a QB pumpkin, some Calaloo seed heads and a large cucumber that was making a bid for marrow-hood.  I'm sure I planted more garlic than that...... showing a few blades under the netting, but some have been moused away...

chillimummy

« Reply #1503 on: September 24, 2014, 16:56 »
Lovely couple of hours in the sun. Uncovered my sprouts and weeded around them and between the rows. Dug up last of my broad beans. Where potatoes were last year is at the sunny end of my plot so will be my new fruit bed. Moved strawberries and planted runners and plants given to me. Will move rhubarb next and maybe 2 blackcurrant bushes if it won't kill them! Might buy a tayberry or gooseberry bush. This is the first time in my 3 years of having this plot that I feel in control and not overwhelmed by grass and weeds! :D
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

miggs

« Reply #1504 on: September 24, 2014, 18:16 »
Just got back home from the plot after planting another 50 onion sets. This time it was 50 red onions.

Steveharford

« Reply #1505 on: September 24, 2014, 18:46 »
Wish I could grow red onions. Just too wet and cold on our clay soil even though I add sand and MPC to my beds and even plant them on ridges. Maybe I will try again with just a few this year.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1506 on: September 27, 2014, 19:45 »
That's 11 wheelbarrows of muck moved  :D Lovely.

Pulled down one of the bean wigwams.  Tricky to get to pick, but I must say it was worth it for a bit of nostalgia, will do that again. 

Snuck into the cucumber enclose...... thought I could chuck the water at them and dash out without catching sight of one (I have a fridge full.  Again).  Too late, cut 2 ignored a couple more looking almost there. 
Then; salvation- Ol'Norm (he of the show daffs) brought over a huge carrier of lovely large toms 'it only me to feed can you use these' bless.  Fair exchange, he was very pleased.... Hehehehehehe.

AnneB

« Reply #1507 on: September 27, 2014, 23:07 »
Planted some of the garlic - Messidrome, Russo di Sulmona and Purple Wight.  Watered the polytunnel, did lots of harvesting.  OH sifted soil at the top of the plot.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1508 on: September 27, 2014, 23:21 »
Levelled and milled three beds and sowed winter mix green manure seeds.

Noticed there was rust on the leeks already, so mounted a three pronged attack; 1. stripped off the affected leaves, 2. watered with a potash solution, 3. sprayed with fungicide.

Still picking runner and french beans. I have been letting the big beans get bigger and I opened some of them today and they have reached a nice cookable size.
Anne

Snoop

« Reply #1509 on: September 28, 2014, 12:19 »
Sowed some spinach before the heavens opened, yet again. The locals like to think of this area as the "Tuscany of Spain", but to be honest it's more like the Lake District at the moment.

JaniceB

• Fighting clay and rabbits
« Reply #1510 on: September 28, 2014, 19:06 »
Reluctantly dragged myself up there to bite the bullet and pull up all the sweetcorn whose every cob was eaten by rats. Was heartened to find my borlottis all nicely dried out and not too shabby a crop despite the rabbits eating half the plants.
Watered my parched parsnips and celery and tentatively pulled a carrot - no carrot fly damage!!! Decided to leave the butternuts to enjoy the coming week's forecast sunshine and hoped the rats don't find them.
Small victories and looking forward to next year again!

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #1511 on: September 28, 2014, 20:33 »
Rediscovered my enthusiasm ;) ;)
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Ema

« Reply #1512 on: September 30, 2014, 20:30 »
Too the hoe to the weeds mwhahaha!

Realised my neighbour has been spraying and has nearly killed one of my rhubarbs

AnneB

« Reply #1513 on: October 01, 2014, 16:33 »
Lots of harvesting.  Dug out and composted rest of the sweetcorn.  Dismantled the French bean wigwam and put canes away.   Trimmed off some old yellowy and possibly blighted leaves from the outdoor tomatoes. 

Admired the storage container which some of the Committee have painted a very pretty shade of bluey green.

OH continued to sift soil and remove it from where the new polytunnel will go (eventually, it is taking months).

chillimummy

« Reply #1514 on: October 01, 2014, 18:57 »
Dug up last of the turnips and beetroot. Weeded where broad beans and lettuce had been and weeded around compost bin, put down weed fabric as grass growing into my manure. Last bed now is where rhubarb and sweetcorn are. Will be moving rhubarb and digging up sweetcorn next visit.
Need to plant my garlic, red onions and maybe spinach 

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

65 Replies
Last post Today at 19:01
by vikingraider
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 37 queries.