What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

Snoop

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #1470 on: September 09, 2014, 10:28 »
No watering required today due to absolute downpour yesterday. Scattered a bit of granular fertiliser about this morning to make the most of the wet soil. Scattered a bit around the parsnips. I know you're not supposed to feed parsnips, but I remember Ade (who once grew parsnips big enough for a family of six) saying he fed his. So... let's see what happens.

chillimummy

« Reply #1471 on: September 09, 2014, 21:48 »
Dug and weeded another bed where broad beans and no show carrot seeds had been. Tidied and cleared  around the pallet compost bins as next visit will dig up the weeds and put weed membrane around it. One half full of manure but lots of weeds too  ::) Picked and ate delish raspberries
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1472 on: September 09, 2014, 21:52 »
Popped down to sling water about after work this evening, took another pumpkin home and planned tomorrows jobs. 

3 more large cues off the pant- but passed two on at the lottie gate, to ole'Norm who has given me some sungold toms.  May try those next year but they do look strange on the plant.

Chilli mummy- I had a packet of those no-show carrot seeds too! They did what it said on the packet  8)... :D

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1473 on: September 09, 2014, 22:11 »
Binned another 4 blighted tomato plants.  :(

Watered everything and helped two BNS flowers along with some pollen. Also added another 3 bags of topsoil to the new bed - one had red ants in so I stopped there.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1474 on: September 09, 2014, 22:28 »
Picked another bucketful of french beans.  I'm running out of neighbours to give them to. :nowink:
Anne

Snoop

« Reply #1475 on: September 10, 2014, 11:10 »
Still no watering required. Removed two clutches of butterfly eggs off some cauli seedlings. First since spring, amazingly. Cleaned out the main henhouse at long last. Bridey not in the least bit happy about it: the henhouse failed the inspection and her commotion got the other two all worked up.

Springlands

« Reply #1476 on: September 10, 2014, 13:59 »
Watering, watering and more watering. The ground is drier now that it was during the summer - but I am not complaining - all of this sun is good for the outdoor toms.  :D

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1477 on: September 10, 2014, 19:49 »
went down at 7am, it was loverly  8)
dug over some rich soil and planted some small garlic cloves I harvested this year (solent wight) but were tiny in a patch that wasn't doing much.  Not grown successful garlic ever, but nothing lost if it goes wrong.
Talking of which my 'green manure' french beans planted between my late crop 'new pots' flowering well...idea was to turn the spud soil onto the beans/green manure in the trench.  May just leave both crops to do their thing.

Snoop

« Reply #1478 on: September 11, 2014, 08:58 »
Watered, picked a snail-damaged lettuce for the chickens and then harvested today's offering from the chickens. Three warm eggs nestling in nice, clean straw.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1479 on: September 11, 2014, 16:52 »
Dug over the bed where the Thelma Sanders were (plants have now died) and sowed winter greens - Tatsoi, spinach, mizuna, pak choi and Chinese sprouting cabbage (all cold tolerant varieties).
Chopped up and composted the squash plants.
Removed the 4 blighted tomato plants and dug over that area for the winter spinach and chard plants
Dealt with the chooks as it was my chook day :) ;)  1 egg from each hen ;) :)

Steveharford

« Reply #1480 on: September 11, 2014, 16:57 »
Hi DBG. what variety of spinach would you recommend? I sowed some winter giant a couple of weeks ago and they havent germinated yet.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1481 on: September 13, 2014, 07:52 »
Hi DBG. what variety of spinach would you recommend? I sowed some winter giant a couple of weeks ago and they havent germinated yet.
Tbh I'm useless with spinach!!   :lol:
It always bolts before completing it's growth ::)

I'm trying (for the second time) a winter variety called 'Ho Hei' - DT Browns make an 'overwinter greens' seed pack - 5or 6 packets of various winter greens. I will cover the bed in a fleece tunnel once it gets properly cold, but the others have done ok previously I just forgot to pick them... :blush: but going to persevere this year and get some over winter veg/salad!!

I always grow perpetual spinach or 'spinach beet' - I'm brilliant at that and it tastes just as good ;) and stands well all winter down here with no protection  ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 07:53 by devonbarmygardener »

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1482 on: September 13, 2014, 14:06 »
Cleared the huge rubbish pile, bagged it up in old compost bags and filled the estate car three times to the local tip! Phew!!!
Will be back later to harvest what crops we have after two weeks away on holiday and to water the plot.

Snoop

« Reply #1483 on: September 13, 2014, 16:07 »
Watered. Sounds easier than it was. I had a lie in and then had to argue with the bees as to who was going to have access to the water barrels, me or them. Took a lot longer than usual to get around.

Melon plants are definitely going for a second round. There's even a water melon just started. First frost in five weeks if we're lucky (two if not). Wonder if they'll actually come good.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1484 on: September 13, 2014, 18:36 »
Finally tackled my 4 compost darleks in the back garden-usually by now they would have been cleared, but I have a bad shoulder (scan next week) so have been putting it off..... took it easy and love-rly crumbly compost was mulched around anything that didn't move.
Unearthed a mouse nest  :ohmy: don't ask  :(

Went down the plot and chopped spinach for tea (the real stuff, I keep it trimmed now so it won't bolt), cleared damaged leaves around the chard and covered with my metal tunnel to keep those pesky pigeons off!
Watered loads of stuff.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 37 queries.