What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

AnneB

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #1455 on: September 04, 2014, 17:30 »
Watered the polytunnel on daughter's plot.  Harvested quite a lot of stuff.   Weeded the new this year brassica bed we inherited when the plot boundary was re-drawn after the tenant next door left (the fence did an abrupt turn left to take a mature apple tree into their plot, leaving ours about 8' narrower than it should have been at one end, and theirs 8 foot wider!).  It seems the bed brought club root with it as  the turnip I dug up although fully grown had the galls on the roots.  At the other end 2 red cabbages had failed to develop properly and they were similarly affected.  The brussels sprouts in the middle seem OK so far.   

I will treat with lime and avoid putting brassicas in there for a bit.   Don't have it anywhere else.

OH sifting soil and putting in last raised bed.

Snoop

« Reply #1456 on: September 04, 2014, 18:49 »
Refilled the water barrels and gave everything a liberal watering. Weeded the main parsnip bed (again) and gave the squash a rather half-hearted weeding. With any luck, some things will not need watering tomorrow...

snowdrops

« Reply #1457 on: September 04, 2014, 19:50 »
Had a bonfire on Cs plot :D hope he didn't mind :nowink:. I did burn his rubbish though. Finished weeding the 2nd bed of leeks, then starting digging the last untouched bit of plot 39. After lunch I carried on digging then I finished picking the pears & cut the pear & apple tree down :(, weeded a bit of the beetroot bed.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1458 on: September 04, 2014, 20:23 »
Its the allotment show on Saturday so I was busy sorting out what I had and what I didn't.  I had a huge spaghetti squash which looked perfect until I turned it right over and there is a crack all along it,  >:( wouldn't you just know...
Anne

Snoop

« Reply #1459 on: September 05, 2014, 08:59 »
Watered the plants that needed it. Decided to earth up the more advanced autumn and winter cabbages to help them cope with the windy period we usually get towards the end of this month. Discovered that helpful helpers hadn't really been watering them enough, so the ground was rock hard, which is why their growth has been checked. Earthed them up and gave each one a full watering can (7 litres) in the hope it'll filter down. I'll give them a feed tomorrow.

Tomatoes have blight. First time ever.

miggs

« Reply #1460 on: September 06, 2014, 18:15 »
Dug over the plot (again) that will be having onion sets in shortly. Picked another load of Runner beans and Potato's. Pulled up the last of the Sweet Peas as they where looking a bit sorry for themselves.  Pulled up then composted the Mange tout, as I got nothing from them won't be growing them again. Then some general digging over from where the spuds came from.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1461 on: September 06, 2014, 19:46 »
Picked some veggies for tea :)

Feel really bad - I was planning a couple of 'llotment days this week while we were on holiday and I've been ill so no energy to do any gardening :(

Springlands

« Reply #1462 on: September 06, 2014, 20:01 »
That is so annoying DBG.   :(

Lots of watering as the ground is really dry - we really need some rain soon.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #1463 on: September 06, 2014, 21:42 »
Hubby away so have 2 of the most fab days ever down the plot, more time that the rest of the summer put together- painted shed (have had the paint since feb!), put up guttering, moved waterbutt under guttering. 
Weeded, tidied, harvested, dug out one of the bean trenches> used soil to earth up brassicas and late sowing of new pots.

Brought first few large pumpkins home to finish curing so I can watch them(the damaged ones I'm worried about).

About 15 mahoosive sluggies bit the dust, 2 were actually err... 'doing it' eeewwww.
4 lots of eggs removed.
DSC_0275.jpg
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 21:54 by pigguns »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1464 on: September 06, 2014, 23:02 »
Allotment show day today.  I was helping on the shop, birdseed, jams, raffle tickets, spring cabbage plants, courgettes...

I got firsts for pickled baby beets and plate of blackberries, seconds for spag squash and chilli peppers, not placed were runner and french beans, plum jam, tomato chutney (just shows what the judges know - that chutney is gorgeous, imho of course) and I didn't even bother to enter the beetroot, which had holes and the photo, which wouldn't print out properly.

A good time was had by all and my feet were v tired.

grendel

« Reply #1465 on: September 07, 2014, 10:14 »
out early this morning, 7.30 departure, quick tour round the local boot fair (picked up a nice oilstone in wooden box for £3, then off to the plot where I picked beans and raspberries, my pumpkins have just taken off, and if I am lucky might be ready for Christmas (they are just flowering).
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Aled

« Reply #1466 on: September 08, 2014, 10:22 »
Harvested the last of my potatoes. Beetroot and carrots still good, and i have a surplus of runner beans. I hope some work colleagues will take em.
Cheers
Aled

Steveharford

« Reply #1467 on: September 08, 2014, 10:39 »
Cut the flowering tops off the Phacelia. Felt so guilty as the bees were loving it !

AnneB

« Reply #1468 on: September 08, 2014, 22:24 »
Watered daughter's plot and polytunnel.  Harvested stuff.  Enjoyed having the whole site to myself on a lovely sunny evening.  Where was everyone?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1469 on: September 08, 2014, 22:26 »
watching the football?  ::)

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 3.292 seconds with 30 queries.