Kale idea

• 8 Replies

diospyros

Kale idea
« on: December 17, 2013, 07:26 »
I was planning on growing kale next year, and have grown Black Tuscany in the past.  However there does seem to be a problem with pigeons on our allotment.  Kale grows very tall and seems difficult to protect effectively unless you grow it in a closely spaced block which doesn't fit with my plan.

So I was just searching for "dwarf kale" or "short kale" but can't immediately see a Tuscan type which grows short.

So then I got to thinking, what would happen if you cut the stems down very low in the autumn and cross-cut them, would it grow back vigorously enough to provide an effective harvest, but be low enough that each plant could have its own net cloche?

compostqueen

Re: Kale idea
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:10 »
Maybe ??? You could give it a whirl.  Nothing ventured an all that ......  Make that your research project for 2014:)

I don't see why it wouldn't work as partly cut cabbages put out lots of "sprouts" afterwards

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 09:14 »
I have found that if you crop Cavelo Nero hard, it stays much shorter overall, at around 40com

This year I have let it grow much more freely, and it is about 60cm - 70 cm high, which may mean you could net over each plant individually if that is what would suit your growing style
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 18:40 »
Ursa Red Russian has stayed pretty compact for us.
It is also one of the only kales that we will eat raw in a salad. In the spring it sends up masses of tender sweet leaves which are great steamed.The flower spikes are tasty too.

Nick
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 18:43 »
The spring flower spikes of kale are delicious. We discovered these a couple of years back, and now don't pull up the plants too soon  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 20:07 »
I use a double row of crossed canes for black kale, like a runner bean frame.  I tie netting to the top cane and peg it lower down.  Makes it easy to get into the crop if you use pegs at the lower levels  :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 10:22 »
strange as round these parts the rats with wings dont touch our kale  ;)
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 14:18 »
Now mine have got tall the pigeons can't reach very well and are less affected.  Mind you, they seem to leave kale until the last to eat, they much prefer cabbage.
Anne

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 18:33 »
I grow Starbor kale which stays quite compact for me, so it's easier to protect from the pigeons. The other thing I like about it is that it doesn't have the thick central vein down the leaves that the Tuscan kale has, I found that could get a bit tough as the leaves got bigger. 

xx
kale

Started by Spana on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 16:46
by snowdrops
xx
How much Kale can I cut now?

Started by Kiki on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 18:28
by Kiki
xx
Kale

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 23:19
by yummy
xx
Kale help ????

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 16:35
by RichardA

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 37 queries.