Advice on moving

• 9 Replies

thestens

• Experienced Member
Advice on moving
« on: December 17, 2013, 14:49 »
In a month or so will be moving house. So will have to give up the Lottie. The house we are moving to has a allotment size veg garden so won't be missing out on gardening.
My question is about moving plants. I have strawbs, rasps, currants (black and red) goosegogs, and asparagus. Will I be able to move them and when should I remove them from the ground ( to save a rush at the last minute). Should be moving mid Feb.
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Advice on moving
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 15:08 »
Moving the fruit shouldn't be a problem as long as you do it when they are still dormant. No idea about asparagus - gurgle searches seem a bit divided as to whether it's worth it.

You might want to check what your tenancy says about removal of topsoil. Mine has a clause to say that this is a no-no, which will make it interesting to shift plants out when I get around to moving.

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 15:26 »
I guess it is a question of how much top soil is top soil and how much is root ball?. The thing about asparagus is I will have to wait 3 years to get new ones to maturity again.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 19:15 »
There was a thread on here recently on the same subject which got opinions quite divided!

Some people felt that it really wasn't on to leave the next tenant with great big holes in the soil where you'd removed big rootballs.  As others have said, it's possibly against your tenancy to remove soil - and great big rootballs would come under that description in my view.

Some people said go for it, who cares what impact you have on the next tenant, you've gone by then and look after number one!

You can probably guess which side of the fence I was sitting on!!

How old are the plants?  If they are really well established and you inherited them in the first place, then I might consider getting some new plants anyway, which will establish quickly and be varieties I have more choice over.

Irrespective of the above, I don't think asparagus will transplant well if they've been in for several years.

Also, leave it until the last possible moment to dig them up unless you're going to transplant them into big pots in advance of the move.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 19:17 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 00:10 »
Thestens

Most council contracts run April to April so it is not likely that someone will jump onto your plot as you have already paid for it.

There is no requirement to leave the next tenant with 'no holes'. Most new folk just mess around and then give up anyway. Why waste plants?

I believe that asparagus can be moved before the last frost, but in anticipation of it, if that makes sense? You really just don't want  to plant on a frozen day.

Other fruits, this is a perfect time.

Paddy
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

diospyros

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 06:32 »
With blackcurrants and possibly some others might you be better taking cuttings anyway?  Less weight to move, fresh young plants, less risk of damage/shock.

PudsTree

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:46 »
For the raspberries, currants and gooseberries, whatever the type, I would trim to about 30cm high then dig up with as much rootball as possible. Put the roots in plastic bags and keep moist. They will last like that for a month with no problems at all.

It all depends on how much space you have to store them before moving, if you have lots you can trim the currants and gooseberries less drastically. Anytime in January or February is ideal but the nearer the time the better.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 20:09 »
Thestens

Most council contracts run April to April so it is not likely that someone will jump onto your plot as you have already paid for it.

There is no requirement to leave the next tenant with 'no holes'. Most new folk just mess around and then give up anyway. Why waste plants?

I believe that asparagus can be moved before the last frost, but in anticipation of it, if that makes sense? You really just don't want  to plant on a frozen day.

Other fruits, this is a perfect time.

Paddy

Our contracts run according to the calendar year, so I don't think you can presume what is standard and certainly what is the case for thestens.  That being said, if thestens is paid up to the end of the tenancy period then nobody else will go on until he gives it up.

As for no requirement not to leave holes, that isn't what I said.  What I did say is that many tenancies stipulate no removal of soil.  If you leave socking great holes from a rootball, then of course you are removing soil.

I have known plots become almost denuded of their topsoil where there has been systematic removal of soil through poor weeding practice and/or removal of plants.

Ema

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 20:35 »
Because I am always over keen and a worrier I would move them now! prune back the plants first then dig them up put them into boxes or plastic bags. If we get snow or a heavy frost which is possible in Feb you wont be able to move them.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 23:25 »

Our contracts run according to the calendar year, so I don't think you can presume what is standard and certainly what is the case for thestens.  That being said, if thestens is paid up to the end of the tenancy period then nobody else will go on until he gives it up.

As for no requirement not to leave holes, that isn't what I said.  What I did say is that many tenancies stipulate no removal of soil.  If you leave socking great holes from a rootball, then of course you are removing soil.

I have known plots become almost denuded of their topsoil where there has been systematic removal of soil through poor weeding practice and/or removal of plants.

I always seem to put my foot in it here. I meant to say, as you point out that the tenancy period is 'safe'. Again as you say contracts are different, we have no mention of removal of soil either. I apologise for not stipulating that agreements are different, I thought that 'most' was fair.

BP

xx
moving rhubarb -advice

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 08:50
by Ian_A
xx
Moving strawberries - advice needed

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 30, 2013, 19:25
by gobs
xx
advice on moving some apple trees

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2012, 11:55
by TerryB
xx
Moving young fruit trees advice please

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 17:20
by Ice

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 36 queries.