Garlic mystery appearance.

• 2 Replies

Benandbill

Garlic mystery appearance.
« on: November 17, 2013, 16:51 »
Can anyone enlighten me here?  I thought I'd pulled all my garlic up a month or so ago, it was a decent enough crop and I thought that was it.  After I got it up I turned the ground over and I've left it 'til today.

I was just giving it one more turn today to get rid of a few weeds, basically just to tidy it up a bit before it gets left over winter and I pulled up what looked like a clump of a few long blades of grass and, you guessed it, there was a full bulb of garlic.  There were a few of these so I got them up with a view to drying them out and using them to cook.

Each clove within the bulb has it's own leaf (blade of grass), unlike what I normally grow which only has one leaf per bulb.  The cloves are quite soft. 

So what am I supposed to do, dry them out and eat them or separate and re plant?  My instinct its to dry and eat, but maybe I should have left them in the ground to grow over winter.  Where did they come from?  Quite a few of the bulbs I lifted in August had developed seeds so maybe it's just a few of those, but they haven't half developed quickly if it is?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic mystery appearance.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 17:02 »
Some had probably already died down, so you never dug them up..........each seperate clove then started growing again  ;)

You can seperate them and replant - otherwise you can eat them green or dry them off :)

Benandbill

Re: Garlic mystery appearance.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 17:11 »
Thanks mumofstig.  It was a nice surprise to get a few more bulbs  :)

xx
Strange Appearance

Started by eeedowls on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 13:53
by savbo
xx
Strawberry runners making an appearance already

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 18:13
by Yana
xx
Mystery Veg...I think!

Started by Incy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 11:07
by BabbyAnn
xx
A bit of a mystery!

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 18:40
by elibump

Page created in 0.861 seconds with 30 queries.