We've just lost our first girl. So sad.

• 3 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
We've just lost our first girl. So sad.
« on: November 08, 2013, 16:02 »
We just got back from work/school run and I noticed blood at one end of the coop, started checking the girls over and realised one of the Buff Orpingtons hadn't come out. There she was laying under the ramp to their house. She wasn't moving at all, so realising it was bad in a way I was hoping that it was all over for her after seeing so much blood, praying I wouldn't have to cope with making any decisions. Bless her heart, I could see insides laying at the rear of her. Is this what is known as a prolapse. My girls are all 2 1/2 years old, I haven't seen any blood on other occasions, and have just checked the house and she hadn't bled last night. If it was a prolapse is it common for it to happen so suddenly ( hope she wasn't in pain for long).
She was a beautiful girl called Honey who we have had since she was just under 6 weeks old and it's the first time we have lost a girl, so very sad. At the moment I have wrapped her in some newspaper. My 10 year old is with me and would like to bury her but I think I remember reading on here that you aren't allowed. Could anyone please advise, what we are meant to do with her. I know there is probably a thread but feeling a bit upset and want to act as if I know what I'm doing in front of my son.

snow white

Re: We've just lost our first girl. So sad.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 17:33 »
If she has had a prolapse then the other chickens have probably pecked at it.  A prolapse by itself does not bleed, but chickens find it irresistible, I'm afraid.  The blood encourages other chickens to peck as well.   They are simple creatures.  :( 

Not sure on the disposable thing though, sorry.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 17:40 »
Thank you Snow White, I have just been reading online and it seems horrific. She was the most timid of them all as well. When I first read it I was hoping it wasn't the case here as she was really clean, no blood on her at all, but reading further it seems the only explanation. I know its nature but I wish I hadn't given the others a few meal worms to cope with the shock now. Gracie went to bed as soon as I moved Honey out of the way so she could get past, I thought she was upset, more like guilt if you ask me.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 22:19 »
It's very sad to lose a hen but it happens I'm afraid and there's nothing you can do in a case like this  :(

You can bury you hen as long as it's a deep hole to prevent foxes or dogs digging her back up again.  I've buried my three hens in the garden and there's no law against it

xx
Lost a girl

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 16:18
by bantam novice
xx
lost a girl

Started by maninvan on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 17:41
by maninvan
xx
Devastated...I've lost my first girl...

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 17:24
by Chuckles
xx
Lost our favourite girl this evening.......

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 22:04
by joyfull

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 36 queries.