Problem with auto closer

• 10 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Problem with auto closer
« on: November 04, 2013, 18:14 »
Bought a poop hole automatic opener and closer in the spring (crikey, it was a faff to set up). The low battery light came on a couple of days ago so changed the batteries. It's been recailibrated but refuses to open or close when it's supposed to now... any ideas - these things really ain't cheap  :(
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

Prod

Re: Problem with auto closer
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 18:20 »
When I bought my first coop it came with an automatic door.  I had to return the digital timer twice.  The third was OK until the batteries went and when I put new ones in it wouldn't work.  I sent it back but because it was over 12mths old they would not replace it.  A new one cost £25 plus postage so I said forget it!!!!   Now, as I have more coops anyway, I have to shut them all so I am not that bothered, disappointed with the automatic door though!!! >:( >:(
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:35 by ANHBUC »

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 18:26 »
Worth checking the wiring connections to make sure they are good.
The sprung  pinch connections are not as tight as a good old connector block ! :)

PS i hope POP was what you meant ! :lol:

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 19:19 »
When I bought my first coop it came with an automatic door.  I had to return the digital timer twice.  The third was OK until th ebatteries went and when I put new ones in it wouldnt work.  I sent it back  but because it was over 12mths old they would not replace it.  A new one cost £25 plus postage  so I said forget it!!!!   Now, as I have more coops anyway, I have to shut them all so I am not that bothered, disappointed with the automatic door though!!! >:( >:(
Maybe a good name for it would be chuckaway
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:17 by ANHBUC »

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 20:10 »
Hahahahaha! I always thoought it was 'poop hole'... a bit like my Granny always called a baguette a 'banquette' I guess.

pepsi100

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 20:46 »
I dont have any problems with my automatic pop hole opener, she gets up for work at 4am, goes outside, pulls the string, it opens, my automatic opener is my wife (bless her  :))

Never failed, come rain or shine  :) and is never late  :) (well never really late)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 09:48 »
When I bought my first coop it came with an automatic door.  I had to return the digital timer twice.  The third was OK until the batteries went and when I put new ones in it wouldn't work.  I sent it back but because it was over 12mths old they would not replace it.  A new one cost £25 plus postage so I said forget it!!!!   Now, as I have more coops anyway, I have to shut them all so I am not that bothered, disappointed with the automatic door though!!! >:( >:(

I had a similar problem a few years ago with a cat flap and sensor.  I had to keep getting replacements when they stopped working.  As I understand it your 12 months warranty would start from the date you have received your last replacement.  That has always been the case when I have had to replace anything.  I have also had a problem with kettles and I am now on my 4th one in nearly 3 years.  Each time the replacement is covered for 12 months so I don't mind taking it back as I keep getting a shiny new one.   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

rufty

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 10:05 »
I couldn't have chickens without our door opener, both my wife and I work late so it just isn't an option to have anything but.
I'm surprised you've had so many issues with yours, what model do you have? We run one of these:
http://www.chickencoopsdirect.com/automatic-chicken-coop-door-opener.htm
Do you use rechargeable batteries? Could that be the cause of the low battery light? (they are 1.2V instead of 1.5 so...)

I'm very interested in what experiences other people have with them as I have a background project to build my own that would be more useful for a wider variety of coops than the one we have so I'd be interested in feedback. (The project is actually about controlling it from a raspberry pi (chicken pi), the door opener is just one part of the project that involves webcams and remote controls and doing image recognition so the software counts the number of chickens in the coop and closes the door when they're all in but I digress ;-))

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 11:25 »
I couldn't have chickens without our door opener, both my wife and I work late so it just isn't an option to have anything but.
I'm surprised you've had so many issues with yours, what model do you have?

This information can be sent by personal message so the site is not subject to legal action.   :)

bravemurphy

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:53 »
I got one and have had it for over a year now and its still on the batteries it came with.

Mind you its not on a timer it is set by the light sensor a few chooks were caught out at the start, but now when they hear the faint wiz of the motor they are in like a shot  :)

pepsi100

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 16:15 »
when they hear the faint wiz of the motor they are in like a shot  :)

That would make a great video, a mad rush to get in when they hear the flap closing  :)

xx
One step closer!

Started by uba on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 19:13
by alisonwo
xx
Door timer closer/opener

Started by MKD on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2016, 11:02
by Flowerpower136
xx
Automatic Door Opener Closer - where are they cheapest???

Started by pookey on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 12:47
by pookey
xx
DIY automatic door opener & closer project instructions

Started by hillfooter on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post November 20, 2010, 03:06
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 37 queries.