Ex bats first night

• 5 Replies

Honey65

Ex bats first night
« on: October 30, 2013, 13:02 »
Hi

We're collecting 4 ex bat hens on saturday.  Our collection time is 4pm and then we have an hour drive so it will be really dark when we get home.  I understand that we'll need to put them in the coop and not the run but will they be alright in the dark? I guess this may be a stupid question but given they've been living in an environment thats lit 24/7 and they won't know each other, won't this be really stressful?  :ohmy: 

Any suggestions on settling them in would be gratefully received!

Beano

Re: Ex bats first night
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 13:41 »
You're doing the best thing by bringing them home in the dark. I have no experience of ex bats but I suspect that they will be calm in the dark as natural instincts kick in. When they wake tommorow morning they will be a little confusued. But as long as you make sure they are in a closed run where they feel safe and they can see where their food and water is, they will soon settle  and feel at home.
Happy days are ahead of you
 :)
El.

Honey65

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 14:57 »
Thanks Beano.  Should I put some food and water in the coop for the night?

Beano

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 16:44 »
No, there's no need. You'll be letting them out as soon as it gets light in the morning wont you? They might be a bit reluctant to come out straight away because of the strange surroundings, but thirst, hunger and most of all curiosity with eventually coax them out. You could put out a cabbage for them, once they've had some layers pellets, as a welcome treat. I might get told off for that last bit of advice  :unsure:. but I rekon they'll deserve a treat, dont you.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 17:29 »
Ex batts can be a bit afraid of open spaces at first so don`t be suprised if they stay around the coop or if they do have a wander they stay close to the fence where they feel secure.
It was over a week before mine would think about walking into the centre of the lawn.

They will soon get their bearings in the new surroundings. :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 19:07 »
No, there's no need. You'll be letting them out as soon as it gets light in the morning wont you? They might be a bit reluctant to come out straight away because of the strange surroundings, but thirst, hunger and most of all curiosity with eventually coax them out. You could put out a cabbage for them, once they've had some layers pellets, as a welcome treat. I might get told off for that last bit of advice  :unsure:. but I rekon they'll deserve a treat, dont you.

:lol:  Cabbage is good for them but it might take them a while to try out new food.  If they have been fed on layers mash rather than pellets you would be better sticking to the same.  They will still need access to grit and crushed oyster shell even if they are fed on mash.  Good luck for Saturday and don't forget we love photos.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Ex-bats

Started by cool chick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 11:33
by WoodyK
xx
Day 1 for my Ex-Bats

Started by tezzer on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 19:04
by tezzer
xx
ex bats

Started by kfoxey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 15:39
by cejx
xx
ex-bats

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 12:36
by nicchick

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 28 queries.