Sick hen

• 7 Replies

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
Sick hen
« on: October 29, 2013, 17:39 »
My white leghorn ( the one that hasn't laid since February) is 18 month old and going through her first big moult , she's not having a great time looks very pale in comb n wattles they are shriveled and seem to have no life in them . I have given her vitamins in her water and she's had  porridge for tea ( just nice n warm) however I'm not holding my breath on this one I'm afraid .
The other girls are all fine so is there anything else I can do or is it a trip to the vet
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Sick hen
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 20:16 »
I would check for red mites in the coop for starters.  If she has not been wormed with fubenvet recently I would recommend doing that asap.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:28 »
Cleaned out and sprayed all areas with smite on Sunday ( each Sunday coop gets a good clean) she was wormed  a while back so yes I will do this again with all . Thanks for the help.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:51 »
If it is because the moult is taking a lot out of her it may be worth trying her on a little kitten food to give her some extra oomph. The food is rich in protiens, vitamins and minerals and they usually love it (don't use a chicken flavour!!!!) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 14:40 »
Moulting really can take it out of them physically. Though I understand your hen hasn't laid for a while her wattle may have become paler etc as an 'outward' sign to other birds that she is not fertile at the moment because of the moulting (hens usually stop laying when moulting).

One of mine is just coming to the end of moulting. She was quiet & looked sorry for herself during the early stage and her wattles were paler in colour. She is also having her position in the pecking order challenged :(. She has got a nice set of new feathers though!
Helen

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 19:02 »
I only have one hen laying at the moment, the rest are all moulting but still have nice bright combs and wattles.  They are smaller in size though.

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 22:40 »
Hi Helen the hen in question hasn't laid in 8 months !!!!! She laid for 4 month then stopped no for no reason but as only 20 month ish I was hoping she would start again after her first big moult but well she's eating.  Drinking and running around but not much else

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 22:45 »
I wonder if it could be down to inbreeding as that is a really long time for a young bird not to lay.   :unsure:

xx
sick hen

Started by dreghorns on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 14:37
by dreghorns
xx
sick hen

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 08:21
by craig1981
xx
Help! Sick hen!!

Started by belladonna on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 21, 2007, 21:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
Help... I have a sick hen

Started by betty on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 05:05
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 36 queries.