Preparing my new plot - soil prep for raise beds (help needed)

• 9 Replies

stu222a

Hi all

I was hoping someone could give me some advice.

Ive just taken on a plot and am in the process of preparing it all.

I plan to make raised beds (three 2.4m by 1.2m beds to begin). I have the wood for the beds and also have approx. 1000L of compost and 300L of rotted horse manure. I have also collected a load of organic material (hay, straw, fallen leaves, and coffee grounds plus some leaf mould/general compost)

The soil is clay but not too hard. There has been some waterlogging with the recent heavy rain does clear ok but definitely drainage needs improved.

I have removed surface weeds and rotivated which i think was a mistake as there are still weeds visible but now in little pieces. However, with the drainage issue and also the need to remove more weeds i am thinking of double digging the area where the beds will be placed.

My question is to do with when and how i use the compost / manure / organic material. I seem to be reading conflicting advice but at the moment i think im toying with one of the following options;

1) Method 1
- Dig single spit depth and remove top soil (& remove weeds)
- Loosen subsoil a further spit depth
- Add some of my mixed organic material (straw/leaves etc) and fork into sub soil roughly (possibly with some of the manure?) (water?)
- move to next row and repeat, adding the top soild onto the first row etc,....
- The new compost would then be added to the finished patch and covered with membrane over winter

OR

2) Method 2
- Double dig bed adding nothing
- then use my organic material (maybe also using paper/cardboard) to build 'lasagne' layers on the top
- cover for winter

If i go this route when / where do i add my compost and manure? In the lasagna? In the dug top soil under the lasagna?

Any help much appreciated and any alterations and tips welcome

Thanks in advance

Stuart

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
Re: Preparing my new plot - soil prep for raise beds (help needed)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:48 »
Hi Stuart and welcome to the forum.

Whenever I've double-dug I've added the organic matter to the bottom and covered with the next row of topsoil.

In your case I wouldn't distinguish between one type of organic matter and another, but mix it up and incorporate.

No need to add water.  We're expecting lots over the coming months.

You're right to expect a weed problem, if only by virtue of your thorough preparation exciting germination of seeds.  Probability of perennial weed bits re-emerging you indicate is high so I wouldn't cover the finished work over winter.  Weed control becomes a priority before you plant up next season so let it all flush up, when it's ready.

Best wishes

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 08:20 »
if you done little bit weed control then rotovated id be inclined to put ure raised beds in position smooth out areas inside beds cover with thick layer of cardboard (to cut out the light to ure weeds) then cover that we your manure and compost mix then if you liked cover that till spring with plastic uncover in spring and plant away . :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:29 »
I'd choose to only dig 1 spit deep - unless you have a good back and actually like digging ;)
Whilst digging you can remove any obvious weed roots that the rotovating has chopped up; if any roots  obviously go further down then try to get as much of these out as well - they'll be the perennial weeds :(

Then add your layer of cardboard or paper, and spread everything else on top. If a lot of what you're putting on top is dry and light, then cover with weed control fabric to stop it blowing away. Enough water will get through the fabric, so watering won't be needed.

Usually the cardboard rots away by spring - if not make holes in it for planting through.
Goodluck!

stu222a

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 08:49 »
Hi guys
Thanks for your advice!

The cardboard layer; if its primary purpose is to block out light and supress the weeds wouldn't covering the final prepared bed with weed fabric do the same thing? See the thing is cardboard is the one thing I don't have available at the moment.

I do have green manure seeds which I was also considering, what do you think?

Thanks

stu222a

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 08:57 »
...and in response to Finley: I'm a bit apprehensive to just build ontop of the soil as it is (ie without at least another single dig), as it seems very waterlogged and packed. Will the layers on top help the lower soil if just left over winter?

I was thinging if I could get to the subsoil and losen it and possibly add some air (straw?) It would help drainage??

Some people are advising me to dig a trench and add all my weed and rubble pile but I'm not so keen on that idea. I'd rather start preparig the actual planting area asap and hoped a good dig over would help the drainage without needing a 2-3ft trench as they suggest.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 12:44 »
...and in response to Finley: I'm a bit apprehensive to just build ontop of the soil as it is (ie without at least another single dig), as it seems very waterlogged and packed. Will the layers on top help the lower soil if just left over winter?

I was thinging if I could get to the subsoil and losen it and possibly add some air (straw?) It would help drainage??

Some people are advising me to dig a trench and add all my weed and rubble pile but I'm not so keen on that idea. I'd rather start preparig the actual planting area asap and hoped a good dig over would help the drainage without needing a 2-3ft trench as they suggest.
I garden with raised beds on silt soil that used to be a field where the tractor rode over it but which only dug to a limited depth and compacted the sub-soil underneath. This produced a "pan" where there is a definite boundary between the top- and sub-soils which you can clearly see if you dig a good, deep hole and note how much top-soil you actually have. I found I had an average of 4-6" top-soil to work with prior to adding my beds. To me, your best choice is method 1 but, when you loosen the bottom of the trench, dig in plenty of horticultural sand/grit as well as organic matter because it will give you instant drainage relief and also aerate the sub-soil. Also, try not to fork sub-soil up into your top-soil. Add more grit into the top-soil as you go and, when you have finished digging your bed, add as much muck and compost etc and let winter do its work. This should give you a good start for the spring.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

stu222a

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 09:05 »
I'm now looking at the forecast starting to think I'm not going to see a dry day before spring. I read that digging when the clay soil is wet is a no no.

If I build the beds, and dump all my organic material on top and cover will this be ok? Or will it be too compact below to plant in come spring?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 09:22 »
The reason not to dig is because you tread on the soil and compact it, especially when it's wet.
You should be able to dig - or just fork over - from the paths between where the beds are going. You need to remove as many of the weed roots as possible while doing this.
If you just put the organic matter on top the weeds will say 'thank you very much' and grow strongly through it  :nowink: and you will have lost the chance to improve the drainage.

stu222a

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 09:32 »
Ok thanks, u'll stick with the original plan and hope for a clear spell

xx
soil prep

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 08:43
by Sweetpea C
xx
Onion soil prep

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 03, 2019, 16:54
by rowlandwells
xx
soil prep....over winter

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 05, 2009, 23:24
by mickeyboy
xx
when to plant out brussels? and soil prep

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 13:52
by DD.

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 38 queries.