funny eggs

• 1 Replies

nicekhc

funny eggs
« on: October 28, 2013, 14:47 »
Hi I have three chickens,had them for two years now,over the last four days I,ve had a couple of egg,s from the same bird (a coucou) with thin shells and the white has been off colour,a bluey/grey and yet the yolk looks o.k.not knowing what this might be I,ve not eaten the egg,s so I don,t know if this has affected the taste. Any ideas/advice please.

many thank,s Cyril.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: funny eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 14:59 »
Hello and welcome to the site Cyril.

It sounds like they have laid soft shelled eggs which can be caused by a lack of calcium or calcium absorption.  Young birds and elderly birds often have this problem.  You will need to make sure they are getting a balanced diet so try to stick to layers pellets and cut out any treats.  Giving them green leafy vegetables will help with calcium absorption.  They also need access to grit so they can digest their food and crushed oyster shell will also give them extra calcium.

I believe that worms can also affect the egg shell quality so if you have not wormed them recently it would be best to do so with flubenvet which is licensed for poultry. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
funny eggs

Started by scattynat on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 21:19
by pammie
xx
Funny eggs

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2014, 22:59
by grinling
xx
funny eggs

Started by robinson on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 16:59
by robinson
xx
Odd shaped eggs and funny marks on them. WHY ????

Started by Chuckiemum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 20:48
by Chuckiemum

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 36 queries.