what squashes to grow

• 16 Replies

dmg

what squashes to grow
« on: October 26, 2013, 23:31 »
I have the following squash seed available and am looking for the best/tastiest ones to grow. I have a 1/2 plot available (40 x 14ft). It would be only me primarily looking to eat them so wouldn't want anything too huge/wouldn't store well  .What would be the best mix of summer and winter to grow?
squash- winter sweet dumpling
winter squash autumn crown
squash patty pan
squash yellow scalloped
winter squash sweet dumpling
squash butternut avalon f1
pumpkin rocket f1
squash spaghetti
squash harlequin
squash winter kabocha
squash queen
squash vegetable
squash crown price
pumpkin hundredweight
What can I expect size wise and yield from each variety?

Thanks,
Dmg

Kate and her Ducks

Re: what squashes to grow
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 07:52 »
I grew patty pan this year and they were prolific all over summer and are still just hanging in but would say the flavour of the summer crookneck was much better. Also grew spaghetti squash. Lovely flavour but I got a smallish crop (about 7 from 3 plants) and most of them are pretty big. I also grew Burgess buttercup which was very prolific (well I think so). Got 8 from 1 plant and they are a good size without being massive. Definitely growing them again.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 08:34 »
1)  squash- winter sweet dumpling
2)  winter squash autumn crown
3)  squash patty pan
4)  squash yellow scalloped
5)  winter squash sweet dumpling
6)  squash butternut avalon f1
7)  pumpkin rocket f1
Eight)  squash spaghetti
9)  squash harlequin
10)  squash winter kabocha
11)  squash queen
12)  squash vegetable
13)  squash crown price
14)  pumpkin hundredweight
What can I expect size wise and yield from each variety?
1 & 5) are the same small squash I got on average 6 from each plant, they're suitable for stuffing, one for each person - generous, but not enough to serve 2 IMO. They store til about Winterval here.
2) I got only one fruit from Autumn Crown this year, maybe it was too dry for them. They taste quite like a butternut and store tll about about March - maybe longer if you're lucky.
3 & 4)  are the same/very similar. Small custard pie shapped fruits with a scallopped edge to them. Pick small and use as courgettes. I'm not a great fan of these - I think there are tastier summer squashes. Children may prefer to eat these though, because of the shape  :D
6) Not grown this particulat butternut, but tastewise they're prettymuch all the same. Most are harder to ripen in an average British summer than the other squashes.
7) I grew Rocket for the first time this year and only got 1 or 2 fruits on each plant and they were small for a pumpkin. The G kids will carve them soon, so can't help with taste or keeping quality.
Eight) Spaghetti squash are easy to grow and usually generous with fruit - they taste like courgettes to me, but are stringy like spaghetti inside. Should keep til Winterval.
9) I like Harlequin squash. With Celebration and Festival they make a group of very similar small squash that are  called super sweets. They make very good eating IMO lovely however you cook them. About 6 - 8 per plant and store quite well..........if you don't eat them up quickly  ;)
10) ?
11)  This is probably Table Queen an acorn squash. A nice shape, but a bit bland. Good for spiced soup - reliable croppers, up to 8 per plant (whatever the weather) and storage right through the winter.
12) ? Probably spaghetti squash  :unsure:
13) Lovely flavour, stores well, but a bit too large for me, as I'm only feeding myself.
14) A huge monster plant that would cover your whole plot given half a chance. For biggest pumpkin competitions only IMO.
15) I like Kabocha squash - I grow the red ones. A good ratio between flesh and seed cavity for the size and they are tasty. An in between size and they store well 4 or 5 per plant
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 08:39 by mumofstig »

madcat

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 09:11 »
I'd go with MoS - Kabocha are my keeping squash of choice in that list.  I grow Uchiki Kuri which are another japanese squash of a similar size. Butternuts I have given up on - we just dont have the weather and our plot doesnt get enough sun.  Summer squashes I have decided to stay with the courgettes (dark green, pale, yellow, long, round, depends!  :D ) as they are reliable and for me less fussy than the patty pans.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 12:02 »
There are loads of threads on this subject so I'd have a look at those

My fave of the moment is Buttercup, followed by New England Pie, Baby Bear, Crown Prince, Muscade de Provence. I like Uchiki and Pottimarron.   The Harlequin and Festival ones are good too but I've not done thos e this year as not enough space to do them all  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 12:25 »
Apart from Harlequin OP hasn't got any of those seeds though CQ  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 14:27 »
Oh dear, what a shame  :lol:

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 16:16 »
I have grown Sweet winter dumpling this year along side Hooligan and winter festival.  I have had a bumper crop this year.  The one I have grown for the last 3 years is Hooligan - tastes lovely steamed or roasted.  I think you would have to think about what you want to do with them.  There are only 2 of us to cook for so I grow small pumpkins.  They are fun to grow but can take up a bit of room, I've let mine sprawl over paths that otherwise would have been strimmed.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

dmg

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 17:21 »
Thanks for the replies folks, very helpful  :)
Dmg

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 19:22 »
I grow quite a few Winter squash in Glasgow.
Suggested sweetest, most full flavoured, long storage and quickest maturing varieties (<100 days from transplanting to harvest)
Bonbon F1. Cucurbita Maxima, buttercup type. This one came top in a recent independent taste test with a dry, sweet, nutty taste. Each fruit weighs up to 2 kg, has a good quantity  of deep orange flesh and should store well  into the Winter. Trailing vine up to 2 or 3 m. Brix(sweetness) up to 16 degrees and dry matter up to 20%.
Crown Prince F1. Cucurbita Maxima. This is very sweet and tasty, having large blue/grey fruits each up to 4 kg, with a good quantity of orange flesh and should store well into spring or early Summer. Trailing vine up to 3 or 4 m.
Festival F1. Cucurbita Pepo. This is a quick maturing variety that carries several, sweet tasting, small, pretty squashes. Each one is the right size for a family meal, some 1 kg, and could also be readily stuffed and then micro-waved. It is very good for storing and will regularly store into the next Summer. Trailing vine up to 2m.
Red Kuri or Uchiki Kuri. Cucurbita Maxima. Onion shaped squash. There is some dispute in the seed catalogues as to whether these are different names for the same variety or two different cultivars of the same variety. Red Kuri may be a redder cultivar. In any event, they are quick maturing with medium sweetness, a good flavour, moist flesh, weighing up to 1.3 kg each. Should store till late Winter. Trailing vine up to 3m.
Sweet Lightning. Cucurbita Pepo. Small, very sweet fruits weigh up to 0.5 Kg. Brix up to 16 degrees. Dry flesh. Stores till the Spring. Semi-bush up to 1m

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 21:44 »
I don't grow butternuts, the season's too short for them here, but pumpkins and Sweet Dumpling squash do well.
DSCF0539.JPG

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 15:09 »
Crown prince store well, taste good and have done well for us for the last 8 years.
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 21:17 »
Spaghetti squash are great for something a bit different, those lovely stringy pieces inside that you can treat just like pasta (I dress mine up with basil pesto and fresh parmesan).

I too love red kuri; too bad dmg does not have any seeds for those.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 08:41 »
Wiki says that Uchili kuri and Red Kuri are Kabocha squash  :D So he really should grow them cos they're lovely  ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_kuri_squash

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 13:32 »
Wiki says that Uchili kuri and Red Kuri are Kabocha squash   

Well, then, Bob's your granny   ;)

xx
3 different squashes can i grow in pots

Started by like diggingk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 18:12
by like diggingk
xx
Spacing of squashes - can you grow between?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 08:28
by Zippy
xx
help with squashes

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 19:26
by pink aubergine
xx
squashes

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 20:27
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.594 seconds with 30 queries.