Globe or Jerusalem

• 6 Replies

Fairy Plotmother

Globe or Jerusalem
« on: October 26, 2013, 13:50 »
What is the difference between these two Artichokes and how are they cooked?

bravemurphy

Re: Globe or Jerusalem
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 14:11 »
globe is a flower head and Jerusalem is a tuber like a potato.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 14:27 »
Thanks. Which is best/easiest to grow and/or eat? You can see I have no experience of this veggie.  :unsure:

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 15:26 »
Globe are a phaff to prepare, but are a delicacy and very expensive to buy. They take up a lot of space for the crop you get, but if you like them are definitely worth growing. Jerusalem can be used as you would potatoes, they are renowned for their, ... side effects! Being affectionately known by many as fartichokes! They are also fairly invasive if you grow them. To be honest I would try and sample both first before growing either. I don't like Jerusalem artichokes much at all, others love them. But because one is invasive and the other very large I would see if you actually like them first of all.   :)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 16:35 »
I purchased what I thought was a tall variety of coreopsis for a very dry spot around our far closethesline post. I wanted tall plant growth to deter squirrels and such.

In the past few years the plants have gotten so tall and widespread that I had to tie them to the post. This year they started working their way into the neighbour's yard so I yanked those out.... and found the edible tubers! Ironic considering over the years I've adamantly refused all offers of J.A.'s because I didn't want them starting up in my garden.   :wacko:

So I decided I'd best remove most of them because the tubers were so large. 2 carrier bags later of large tubers, I'm still trying to find someone who wants them. Amazing how such a comparatively small tuber can produce a plant over 6 ft tall, and in wretched soil no less. If I had no food left, I'm sure I'd be thankful, but since my garden now produces abundantly, I don't feel inclined to frequently pass wind.

jambop

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 17:04 »
Globe artichokes are a delicacy and well worth growing if you have a bit of space, I have the in the garden and we love them. They need to be planted about two and a half feet apart in well worked and manured soil and about the same between the rows. Steamed and then served with melted butter is our favourite way of eating them dipping the end of the petal in the butter and nipping the little edible bit then after all that the heart yum yum. You need to buy small plants from a garden centre or even better if you know someone who has some in their garden get a few off shoots in the autumn and plant as described above, expect a crop a year after planting. They are quite hardy so no need to worry about frosts. The do suffer quite a bit from black fly so be prepared to spray with an insecticide of some sort. Foliage dies back after cropping then grows back in the autumn. Take off shoots every couple of years and replant in fresh soil to maintain vigour.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 17:45 »
Thanks a lot or all the good advice. I think I'll try both first as they seem a lot of bother if they are to be given away!!

xx
Globe artichokes

Started by AlixP on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 07:05
by Norfolk James
xx
Globe or Cardoon

Started by vjwuk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 13:35
by Aunt Sally
xx
Globe artichokes?

Started by allotmentann on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 07:22
by arugula
xx
globe artichokes

Started by scotty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 22:48
by Maxine Groobey

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 28 queries.