My New Obsession.

• 57 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

My New Obsession.
« on: September 29, 2013, 16:04 »
I know I'm not alone but think my obsession with preserving (and preserving books) may be getting out of hand. My OH is complaining of becoming a canning widower! But we just have so much lovely stuff and it is such a shame to see it go to waste that I have to find ways of storing it. And so much of it is nicer after processed and looks so pretty stacked up in my now completely full cupboard (OH should use his spare widowed time making those shelves he promised me).

This weekend I have used up the last of the frozen cherries to make cordial and jam, tackled the 8.5kg pumpkin to make pumpkin puree, aigret-doux and pumpkin and maple spread which is to die for! The tomato and aubergine kasundi (a sort of spicy chutney / sauce thing) is bubbling on the stove as I type.

Have so many things I want to try and my 3 favourite books are full of post its marking the things I want to make!

So who is joining me in Preservaholics Anonymous?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 16:53 by Kate and her Ducks »
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Beetroot Queen

Re: My New Obsession.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 16:32 »
Can i join, have done crab apple, normal apple and raspberry jam today.

Runner beans by the truck load have just been delivered. Hubby said i should marry a jam pan as i spend more time with the jam pan than him.  :ohmy: i drove past an apple tree yesterday and 30 mins later hubby was picking the said tree. Free fruit how could we not.

I dont need extra shelves i need an extra house  ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 19:30 »
My name is Sunny and I am a Preservaholic.

Now I have more time I seem to spend much of it at the stove cooking and stirring. The most luscious so far are the blackberry & apple curd, the raspberry jelly and the coriander leaf, chilli and tomato bottle cooking sauce.

Love the sound of pumpkin and maple spread, Kate  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 19:31 »
Just done an apple and raspberry jelly, its jelly day  :blink: made it up as i went

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 19:49 »
I'm feeling the pull of a blackcurrant jelly, but I really DO NOT NEED any more jam! ::) :wub: :D
Anne

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 19:57 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like I'll have to sign my name on as well. I'm long past running out of shelf space. OH has put up yet another large shelf unit for me that will be filled once we get the latest bottles downstairs. Just as well that my son frequently hit the thrift shops this year for me and brought home over 200 more mason jars, which have all been used and I'm running short again. This is on top of the 600+ jars I already have   :wub: 

Just finished bottling 6 qts of chicken stock that I made from bones that I froze after removing the meat. Turkey broth is now simmering away.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 20:35 »
Yay! I knew I was not alone! :D :D :D

The Pumpkin and maple spread is amazing! There is always that bit that doesn't quite fill the jar properly and I have already eaten that with a spoon and loved every mouthful (even though it was about 2/3 of a jar!). Will defiantly be using the other pumpkin for this.

Going to sit and plan my next hit from the books! :tongue2:

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 20:37 »
I'll put my hand up too, jams, jellies, chutneys, marmalade, dehydrating. 4 preserving pans.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 20:38 »
Yay! I knew I was not alone! :D :D :D

The Pumpkin and maple spread is amazing! There is always that bit that doesn't quite fill the jar properly and I have already eaten that with a spoon and loved every mouthful (even though it was about 2/3 of a jar!). Will defiantly be using the other pumpkin for this.

Going to sit and plan my next hit from the books! :tongue2:

I thought i was the only one who ended up with odd bits, by golly my fridge is full of half jars, trouble is they never get labelled so hubby may end up with jam or chutney or jelly on his toast.

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 22:53 »
Only just caught onto this obsession  ;) Seem to end up with a smaller quantity of jam than suggested in the recipes. Any ideas?

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 03:51 »
The secret seems to be the jar size.

Sometimes it's how you measure the fruit/veg - either before taking off the vines, etc or (as I do) cleaned, chopped and measured in a cup. 

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 17:43 »
3 more quarts of pickled squash processing as I type. Think this might be the last of them though as the plants are really slowing down now. Phew!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 20:22 »

Now I have more time I seem to spend much of it at the stove cooking and stirring. The most luscious so far are the blackberry & apple curd, the raspberry jelly and the coriander leaf, chilli and tomato bottle cooking sauce.

Love the sound of pumpkin and maple spread, Kate  :D

I think I should join too :wub:
 Today is the first time in weeks that I have not made anything and it is only because my ankle is strapped up and on the poof. I did spend the day preparing shallots for pickling tho'. Shallots in a big bowl next to me on the sofa. :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 20:27 »
Add my name to the list! - 7 jars of pasta sauce cooked and bottled today :D

I can't remember the last time the kitchen looked really tidy  :wacko:

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 21:16 »
My kitchen is a disaster right now with bottles of things everywhere either cooling, drying off or waiting for labels. Oldest son helped me pick over 4 bushels of apples off our trees today, plus 4 gallons of green grapes for juicing, several quarts of raspberries for juicing (freezer is stuffed) and 4 gallons of plum tomatoes for soup. If you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know where I am. And the tomatoes and other veg are still coming. It's a serious addiction, I tell you  :lol:

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 31 queries.