Rowan and apple jelly - how do you eat it?

• 16 Replies

Sparkyrog

Re: Rowan and apple jelly - how do you eat it?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 20:41 »
Really glad your jelly tasted nice. I think I will be giving rowan berries a miss. Rowan trees use to be planted to ward off witches; perhaps that is why I can't stand the taste :D

I had copied an apple and Rowan jelly recipe from last weekends Telegraph - a Sarah Raven recipe but going on your words Mrs Bee perhaps it would be a waste of time and apples for me too! :D ::)
because of the bitterness or being a witch. :lol: :lol:
:lol:
Hmmmmm how to answer that...
You just did  :lol: :lol:
I cook therefore I grow

Mrs Bee

Re: Rowan and apple jelly - how do you eat it?
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 17:41 »

I have just finished a toffee apple jelly

That sounds amazing! Any chance of the recipe?

Well,  you can but there is a story that goes with it, so are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin.

On holiday in Devon I came across a jar of a jelly with the same name, and lots of claims on how good it was so I bought one to try and see if I could duplicate. When we tasted it is was horrid; just tasted of burnt sugar so I thought I would see if I could improve on it and here is my recipe.

5 and 1/2 lb of windfall apples chopped with the peel and core but minus the bruises and maggots.(I may be a witch but I draw the line at maggots in the cauldron) :lol:

Put in a pan with 3 pints of water and 2 or 3 cinnamon sticks and simmer until pulpy, then put in a jelly bag over night.

When strained you should have about 3 and a quarter pints of juice. Remembering that it is 1lb of sugar to 1 pint of juice I added 2 and 3/4 lb of white sugar and 1lb of dark brown sugar.

Boil to a set skimming as you go. When you have got rid of most of the scum add a teaspoon of sunflower oil or unsalted butter....( actually that is a thought, next time I may add a pinch of sea salt to the mix)

I digress, as always..... When potting up fill the jar 1/2 way with the jelly then add about 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract to each jar, top up with the jelly and give a stir with a sppon before putting on the lid.

I used 12oz jars so if you are using bigger jars you may want to add a full teaspoon.

Hope you like it. ;)

xx
APPLE JELLY

Started by Ednah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2007, 19:00
by David.
xx
My apple jelly

Started by Oscar Too on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 12:43
by Stripey_cat
xx
Apple jelly

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 16:02
by mumofstig
xx
And now, Crab apple jelly.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post September 26, 2023, 19:58
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 30 queries.