Weed suppressant fabric

• 10 Replies

MalcW

Weed suppressant fabric
« on: September 12, 2013, 11:01 »
Hi all.

After a lot of weeding and digging we now have a 10 rod plot that's pretty much empty, so I'm thinking that I should probably cover it with weed suppressant fabric. Are there various types? Types to avoid? Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy it at a sensible price?

Or do you have other suggestions?

(This is my complete novice 'I don't really know what I'm doing yet' topic for September)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Weed suppressant fabric
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:00 »
That's quite a lot of fabric - you could consider green manure or simply leaving it fallow if you wanted (will need to keep an eye on the weeds).  Another alternative is cardboard (e.g. if you have any bike shops near you).

If you want to use fabric, go for a woven variety rather than one which is completely impermeable.  The wider the better; it means there's fewer edges for the wind to get under and to keep pinned down (you can use bricks, or large milk bottles filled with water, as well as the wire pins you can buy).

Online retailers / ebay will be cheapest but it still won't be cheap, I should think.  If it's only for this season then you don't need to go for the most expensive.  The heavier duty, the more expensive.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:01 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 13:22 »
Cardboard or manure. Manure is good as a mulch and you can always shove it to one side in spring if it's in the way, or you just plant through it

Sheet mulch is expensive, but once you've paid out initially, it will keep forever as long as you take care of it.  It will get holed if you light a bonfire too close!  :blush:  It is very useful stuff and excellent at clearing weeds for you, or for covering your beds that you are not ready to use yet.  I use it for paths as well

I peeled off an area of plot the other day that's been under black sheet mulch for 3 years and it was completely weed free. Yay.   Because it allows rain through it ensures the soil underneath is kept moist, so that when you do peel off the black stuff the soil underneath is damp and breaks up more easily. It's as well to wait til it's rained for a bit though  :)  Go for heavy duty stuff!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 14:23 »
I would leave the soil open for the winter, particularly if the land is heavy, as the frost will do it a lot of good.

Planting a green manure is another option - that will help lock in the nutrients, there are types that are good for over winter on heavy land too (such as Field Beans).

Come next Spring (after you have dug in any green manure :) ) covering with a black weed suppressing membrane will act as a mulch to lock in moisture, and capture the sun's heat, plus keep the weeds down all summer (i.e. you plant "through" X-slits in the membrane).  If you are thoughtful about where you cut holes for the plants, and organised enough to keep it from year to year - labelled so you know which piece has which hole spacing  :dry: - then it will last for years, particularly if you buy a thicker / heavier duty membrane.  "Heavy duty" starts at, say, 100 gsm - higher numbers are thicker, but I would expect even 80 gsm to last several years.

As others have said only get the woven type, and make sure it is UV stabilised (some is designed to be covered by ornamental bark etc. which means it is not in the sun and thus won't have the same protection)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 17:05 »
I've used lidl semi permeable this year and it's been very good, planted sweetcorn and toms through it and growing pumpkins over it!  did buy some cheap fabric stuff from £land, but the water just rolls off it, so not great.  Had good experience with cardboard and manure on top (grew spuds in-between layers   :happy:)- lifted and the couch grass just pulls out no problem after 6 months.  I'll be leaving some of the plot open with manure bunged on top this winter, some with broad beans as a green manure, some covered with cardboard  :wacko:

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 21:03 »
I dig in manure and leave it for the winter - nothing much will grow but the worms will do wonders with teh manure. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 08:16 »
A compromise would be to do what others have suggested to a third of the plot and to just hoe the rest this Autumn and next Spring.

Hoeing is a lo-tech/lo-cost/lo-effort option which'll take your improvement of the plot to the next level.  A previously neglected plot has a seedbank of weed seeds just waiting to germinate, so let 'em come then kill 'em!

Leaving ground open runs contrary to some thinking but I believe that your priority is to stick with cleaning the ground, and it's being open will let you see and dig out perennial weeds like dock and nettles as they re-emerge, as well as making hoeing easy.

While fabric will knock back and suppress everything I haven't found that it will actually kill perennial weeds like nettle and that the weed seedbank will kick-in once the fabric is lifted.  The weed seeds just wait until they get a chance.  So I'd give 'em a chance, particularly as they're eager to flush up now with the Autumn rains.

Best wishes whatever you decide.

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 08:36 »
When I got my plot it was in terrible state and I hd intended on using weed suppressant sheeting. After researching around here I went and bought a roll of mylex which seems to be one of the best. But I never used it in the way I'd planned, as by the time came I'd caught plot-itis and set to digging/clearing/hoeing. But the mylex has been useful, have planted a couple of strawberry beds through it with the near elimination of all weeds. Only problem it frays when you cut holes through. But its porous so the ground does not dry up and should last years.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 09:36 »
A compromise would be to do what others have suggested to a third of the plot and to just hoe the rest this Autumn and next Spring.

I don't share that view as I think the weeds will make no, or hardly any, growth over the winter, so covering won't be preventing that growth, but it will stop the weather doing such a good job.

Mild winter, or someone living in Cornwall, will prove me wrong though ...

Come the Spring all the weeds will grow :) and that might be the time to cover it - added benefit that it will, at that time, trap heat and moisture.

JohnB47

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 22:19 »
When I got my plot it was in terrible state and I hd intended on using weed suppressant sheeting. After researching around here I went and bought a roll of mylex which seems to be one of the best. But I never used it in the way I'd planned, as by the time came I'd caught plot-itis and set to digging/clearing/hoeing. But the mylex has been useful, have planted a couple of strawberry beds through it with the near elimination of all weeds. Only problem it frays when you cut holes through. But its porous so the ground does not dry up and should last years.

About that problem with it fraying - I was thinking about this today and remembered I'd seen a post or website somewhere where  someone used a blowlamp to burn holes in it, rather than cutting (like I've done too).

Presumably this would seal the edges and stop fraying? I'm going to try that myself soon (for planting out my autumn garlic) and if it works, I'm going to run the blowlamp along the cut edges to seal them too - it's a pain constantly clearing the threads from the end of my strimmer.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 19:16 by JohnB47 »

Godhelm

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 22:40 »
I have used weed control fabric (woven kind) to create paths around a series of beds on my plot - tucking the fabric down into the edges of the beds. There has been some fraying, so I have bought some black duct tape and intend to use that as reinforcement and at joins where paths cross. Generally sticks to anything and is waterproof. Could also put it in 'X' shapes and then cut to plant through to prevent fraying in the X-holes.

xx
brassicas and weed suppressant fabric !

Started by sloworm on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 21:13
by sloworm
xx
Best way to plant strawberries with weed suppressant fabric

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 20:54
by DigIt
xx
Growing onions through weed suppressant fabric

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 19:03
by realfood
xx
Weed suppressant fabric on top of potatoes left in the ground

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 19:38
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 30 queries.