busy time

• 56 Replies

Trillium

Re: busy time
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2013, 16:09 »
Can't wait for my gooseberries to hit that level of production.

Yesterday I did 9-1/2 pints of pickled red peppers, some pickled garlic. Today, if I can get out between heavy rain showers, I need to pick all my grapes for juicing. Figure we have about 2 bushels of purple and quite a few quarts of green. Also pressure bottling the last few quarts of filet beans, chopped for soups. I'm sure I have loads of fall raspberries ready but we're getting unusually heavy rain here since last night and I don't pick berries in the rain. No Gene Kelly in my veins  ;) :D

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2013, 22:32 »
made space in the freezer at the moment not for long 2ls of damsons and 2lb of blackberries, tomatoes coming too.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Trillium

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2013, 15:09 »
Took me all day yesterday to process 4 huge buckets of purple grapes into juice but it's all done. Got 17 old quart bottles of lovely juice bottled for winter. Still have a lesser amount of green grapes to do. Today's job is to hook up the tractor trailer and bring in the huge crop of red kuri and spaghetti squashes. Not really sure if I have enough cold cellar space to store all of them so some will go to good homes  :D Am also picking more sage, chives and parsley for drying.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2013, 22:03 »
if you have freezer space try freezing some in ice cubes I find the flavour better  :)
I cook therefore I grow

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2014, 09:55 »
Just when I thought I was almost ahead of all my processing, I found this article that turns tomato skins into tomato powder  :(

ARTICLE

Looks like my next batch of tomatoes will get skinned and then dehydrated for powder.

I know this is an old thread, but I finally unearthed the stashed tomato skins from the freezer and they are in the dehydrator now  :)

This seems too good to be true.  Tomato powder from what would otherwise be compost bin fodder  :D  I'll let you know how it turns out  ;)

Madame Cholet

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2014, 20:17 »
I'd like to hear about that please

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2014, 07:59 »
Well free is a womble's favourite price and this one is well worth trying  ;)  :)

The tomato skins dehydrated in just a few hours and once processed, are about chilli flake size.  I tried rehydrating a few and you do get a good tomato flavour  :)  They were the skins of homegrown tomatoes.  I'm not sure it would be worth bothering with supermarket ones, unless you found a particularly well flavoured batch.

I think they will be useful in lots of recipes and any tomato skins leftover from sauce making next year are getting the same treatment.

What a brilliant idea - thanks Trillium :D 

Trillium

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2014, 15:23 »
Glad it turned out, new shoot. I ran mine through a mini chopper and turned them into powder. Gives a real tomato hit to any dishes with tomatoes or simply needing flavour but not salt.

I wouldn't bother with shop tomatoes either, only home grown because I know mine are never sprayed and come from flavourful varieties.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2014, 16:30 »
great idea I have bags of toms in the freezer for cooking i usually throw the skins on the fire.

chrissie B

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 09:40 »
its hard getting your hands on the jam jars one you have filled your own , without having to buy them .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Madame Cholet

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2014, 11:52 »
I have several friends who save them for me have you tried freecycle/ freegle.

Trillium

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2014, 16:00 »
Chrissie, I asked some elderly ladies who used to do bottling but no longer do it, and they were thrilled to have new homes for their jars (and free, too). Plus, a friend asked some of her non-bottling friends for jars they'd been given.  Also check thrift shops, boot sales, etc. I always watch for jars because it can take a while to accumulate enough. And, you never know where you'll find them.

xx
Been Busy

Started by slowef on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 06, 2007, 12:51
by Celtic Eagle
clip
i was busy today

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2015, 09:34
by rosiecider
xx
It actually set this time!!!!

Started by GrannieAnnie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post August 30, 2007, 14:53
by GrannieAnnie
xx
pickling time!!!

Started by greg.t on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 05:28
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 31 queries.