Courgettes slowing down

• 28 Replies

ghost61

Re: Courgettes slowing down
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 08:51 »
Turnips make a great soup. Can be frozen too.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 09:31 »
I think they are telepathic. You use some up, knowing that there aren't many getting to the picking stage left on the plants, and then the next morning - 12 of the beasts raise their heads as they head towards marrow size. Mine are having a second wind as well, together with the marrows. Only two marrow plants but we now have 20 'curing' and 10 more growing vigorously. They have been talking to their neighbours the courgettes........

Is that how they do it?  I have wondered.....I'm not sure I like the thought of a courgette plant being able to mind read  :blink:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 09:32 »
I think they are telepathic. You use some up, knowing that there aren't many getting to the picking stage left on the plants, and then the next morning - 12 of the beasts raise their heads as they head towards marrow size. Mine are having a second wind as well, together with the marrows. Only two marrow plants but we now have 20 'curing' and 10 more growing vigorously. They have been talking to their neighbours the courgettes........

Is that how they do it?  I have wondered.....I'm not sure I like the thought of a courgette plant being able to mind read  :blink:

Next we will find out they have eyes and legs to follow us home with  :ohmy:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 09:34 »
You really have had too many courgettes haven't you  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Get out there and beat them off with your box grater  ;)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 09:39 »
You really have had too many courgettes haven't you  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Get out there and beat them off with your box grater  ;)

Hehe i just cant bring myself to compost the blighters when they are doing so well. I must murder them when no-one is looking  ::)

Springlands

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 09:59 »
Even the rabbits are leaving my courgettes alone now - they must also be fed up with them.  :nowink:

ghost61

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 10:08 »
Having just made another two batches of courgette soup, one green, one yellow, I am down to my last 22 courgettes. At the moment there are none ready to pick. Bet that tomorrow there will be at least 12 of the blighters ready to take their siblings place. I swear that they can communicate. I live about quarter of a mile from my plot. Perhaps I should move away so that their line of communication is broken. Even the chickens are fed up with them....

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 10:38 »

Next we will find out they have eyes and legs to follow us home with  :ohmy:

And little courgette arms to open the door and fridge to jump in.....mwahhahahhaha! Anyway BQ you won't be able to murder them cos THEY CAN READ YOUR MIND so will know what you are thinking and they have legs so will be able to hide away!  Sorry Mods! Bear with me we're on the home straight on the long school hols - 4 days to go!  I've already been called 'stupid,mean, horrible' told 'its not fair' a millions times.  I believe 'I'm bored' is not far away either and its only 10.30am.  Pah!  I'm off to talk to my courgettes!  :tongue2:

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 11:18 »
I blame courgettes for my expanding waistline! But they're veg, I hear you say!  Well yes, but they're much tastier turned into courgette cake with frosted topping and that's the problem!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 11:28 »
I blame courgettes for my expanding waistline! But they're veg, I hear you say!  Well yes, but they're much tastier turned into courgette cake with frosted topping and that's the problem!
:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I blame the jam, it needs scones and cream.  Slinking back on topic, did you see the transistion.  :mellow:

Its rude to let those lovely courgettes go to waste. How do the supermarkets justify charging so much for them when they grow so well.  ???

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 11:40 »
When in doubt, give a liquid feed to try to kickstart them into a bit more action (alternatively, invest 25p next year in courgette "Di Nizza" from Lidl if they're still selling them - OK, they're globes rather than the more traditional shape but are so prolific I'm going to have to re-think next year's courgette strategy!)

Assume they are seeds, are they as good as normal courgettes? I'd like to try growing veg that I can't buy in the shops.

A pic to show what the insides of the courgettes look like - as you can see the seeds of the larger one are too big to eat and have to be scooped out, whereas the other one can be eaten "as is" (it's about 4" across which appears to be about the maximum size before you would probably need to de-seed.)

This is a picture of the Di Nizza growing - apart from the 3 small leaves at the bottom of the picture that is a single plant (about 3 times the size of my Defender courgette plants, hence my need to re-think next year's strategy!)

Edit - forgot to mention that the 25p was for a packet of seeds rather than a plant.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:04 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 11:43 »
Jay round ones look like you get a lot less useable courgette per fruit would you agree, i am thinking that may not be a bad thing for next year.

Ps are courgettes known as fruits or veg in the way i used it above.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 11:52 »
There's probably nearly as much actual flesh in the smaller one as the larger one (and much less faffing about trying to work out how to cut them into bake- or fry-able slices, although I suppose you could stuff the bigger ones.)

I've still got one considerably bigger (4lb) which I picked a few weeks ago - it's got quite a hard skin which probably explains why it's kept so well, although I still don't know what to do with it!  :nowink:

Botanically they are a fruit, although of course we all regard them as a veg.  ;)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 11:54 »
There's probably nearly as much actual flesh in the smaller one as the larger one (and much less faffing about trying to work out how to cut them into bake- or fry-able slices, although I suppose you could stuff the bigger ones.)

I've still got one considerably bigger (4lb) which I picked a few weeks ago - it's got quite a hard skin which probably explains why it's kept so well, although I still don't know what to do with it!  :nowink:

Botanically they are a fruit, although of course we all regard them as a veg.  ;)

Maybe i'll just have a year off courgettes then  :lol: i have enough stuffing of marrows to do wthout adding courgettes.  ::)

xx
Swede-slowing down its growth.

Started by Ivor Backache on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 12:28
by Ivor Backache
xx
Courgettes

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 12:51
by yummy
xx
Is this the end? Courgettes

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 13:29
by Grubbypaws
xx
courgettes

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 21, 2013, 13:06
by J_B

Page created in 1.55 seconds with 32 queries.