Courgettes slowing down

• 28 Replies

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
Courgettes slowing down
« on: August 29, 2013, 17:22 »
Hi all,

My courgettes were going great guns and now they seem to be on holiday! We're only getting the odd courgette here and there where we were getting 6 a day.

Is there anything I can do to get them going again? Steroid injections maybe?? <joke>

Beetroot Queen

Re: Courgettes slowing down
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 17:27 »
Come and visit me i'll give you more than you can cope with. The hairdresser came today and left with ten her face was a picture as the kids literally threw them at her.  :lol:

Maybe feed them

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 17:50 »
Not sure about steroid injections but I've grown climbing ones this year and that are very...er...organised, as they mature along the stem so I don't have a glut to deal with.  They're called Black forest.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 18:04 »
You can't expect them to keep going at the same rate they were earlier in the summer (it's nearly September :ohmy:)

When in doubt, give a liquid feed to try to kickstart them into a bit more action (alternatively, invest 25p next year in courgette "Di Nizza" from Lidl if they're still selling them - OK, they're globes rather than the more traditional shape but are so prolific I'm going to have to re-think next year's courgette strategy!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

seaside

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 18:51 »
I've found a use for them ... let them grow a little bigger and then use them to weigh down fleece... perfect.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 20:15 »
Don't speak too soon.  Ours looked like they were slowing down but have got a 'second wind' and are going great guns again!  :ohmy:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:31 by maxibo »

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 20:30 »
I'll try a liquid feed...if that doesn't work, I'll offer them a reward scheme!

JDGen

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 20:52 »
When in doubt, give a liquid feed to try to kickstart them into a bit more action (alternatively, invest 25p next year in courgette "Di Nizza" from Lidl if they're still selling them - OK, they're globes rather than the more traditional shape but are so prolific I'm going to have to re-think next year's courgette strategy!)

Assume they are seeds, are they as good as normal courgettes? I'd like to try growing veg that I can't buy in the shops.

Jean

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 21:00 »
I bought a packet of di Nezza (olso de Nice) in March from Lidl. Sowed 4 seeds in poly mid May and planted out late May. After a slow start due to the rather cold and wet weather, they just exploded! They are very prolific. Initially I picked the courgettes when they were about 4 - 5" diameter. Now I just leave them to marrow size, about 8 - 10" diameter! They seem to keep very well.

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 21:01 »
I'm doing everything I can to slow mine down.  :D

Sick of looking at them now. I think I'll give them a miss next year.

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 21:09 »
I'm doing everything I can to slow mine down.  :D

Sick of looking at them now. I think I'll give them a miss next year.

Jim

We'll still be eating this years  :lol:

ghost61

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:25 »
I think they are telepathic. You use some up, knowing that there aren't many getting to the picking stage left on the plants, and then the next morning - 12 of the beasts raise their heads as they head towards marrow size. Mine are having a second wind as well, together with the marrows. Only two marrow plants but we now have 20 'curing' and 10 more growing vigorously. They have been talking to their neighbours the courgettes........

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 08:27 »
Oh my i hope mine dont get a second wind, we must be approaching 200 harvested and i am over them now  :ohmy:

ghost61

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 08:31 »
They have heard you BQ. Be afraid, be very afraid......

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 08:34 »
Mine are slowing down because there hasn't been much rain, but I know as soon as there is ............  :ohmy:

I've stuck a load of courgette slices in the dehydrator this morning.  Can't feed OH any more or he will leave home ::) They'll be handy for chucking into winter soups and stews and I can disguise them so he doesn't realise what he's eating  :lol:

Now just the turnip mountain to deal with - where's Baldrick when you need him  ::)

xx
Swede-slowing down its growth.

Started by Ivor Backache on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 12:28
by Ivor Backache
xx
COURGETTES

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 16:13
by muckyboots
xx
Please help my courgettes!

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 19:48
by sunshineband
xx
courgettes

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 21:51
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 30 queries.