courgettes

• 12 Replies

viettaclark

courgettes
« on: June 20, 2013, 00:20 »
I had to delay sowing my courgettes because they are going after the garlic which won't be ready for a while and I didn't want the plants taking over in pots.
They're coming up nicely outside but I noticed on another post it's too late for them. The plants usually produce into Autumn so will I be ok in a sheltered garden or should I look out for mature plants now and keep potting on?
I've just sown parsnips again because they didn't appear (despite praying) and that's probably going to be too late too...... :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: courgettes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:05 »
I wouldn't say it's too late.

They'll get a move on at this time of year, rather than ones sown in April!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:47 »
I've only just put my courgettes into the garden Vietta.  Did that other post say it was too late to sow now, rather than plant out now?

I didn't think the ones I planted last year were going to survive with all the wind and cold they were getting, but once they started, they really took off.  I still have frozen chpped up courgettes in the freezer, but it's not really soup time now and I don't know what to do with them.

May end up giving them to the chickens!   :(

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:00 »
Where's the flash flash klaxon when you need it Grannie,you know what Deffra says about feeding chickens :lol:
VC,mine are only just germinated so will go out as & when,they have 2 choices so worth a try in my book.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

bappelbe

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:11 »
viettaclark, you are probably looking at the post about butter nut squash which do take time to ripen - not so with courgettes

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:21 »
I reckon you'll be eating courgette in no time - they'll grow quickly at this time of the year.

I've only just put my courgettes into the garden Vietta.  Did that other post say it was too late to sow now, rather than plant out now?

I didn't think the ones I planted last year were going to survive with all the wind and cold they were getting, but once they started, they really took off.  I still have frozen chpped up courgettes in the freezer, but it's not really soup time now and I don't know what to do with them.

May end up giving them to the chickens!   :(

Courgette Tempura and Courgette Carbonara are two of my favourite things to use up courgettes - not sure how they'd do with frozen courgette though.

I can't wait!

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:23 »
mine have also jsut gone out and they seem to be growing ltos each day

Anton

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:17 »
With the parsnips try germinating them in a plastic box first with a bit moisture inside. When they produce tiny tails pop them into paper pots with peat and they should peek above the surface after a week or so. Then plant them out when they have a couple of leaves. I did that with all my parnsnips this year after trying to seed them directly in all the cold and rain last year (hardly any came up so I had to resort to pots).

Anton

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:39 »
Where's the flash flash klaxon when you need it Grannie,you know what Deffra says about feeding chickens :lol:
VC,mine are only just germinated so will go out as & when,they have 2 choices so worth a try in my book.

I won't report me if you don't, and I promise to take them straight from the freezer in the garage to the patio table, how's that???  Although I did chop them in the kitchen originally!   ;) ;)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 16:55 »
Mine went out on Saturday and I could swear that I can see them growing  :blink:

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 19:23 »
Mine have just got their first true leaves!!! But it makes me feel better hearing from you all. Thanks peeps.
They'll go in when they go in and that's that!!! ::) :D

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 11:31 »
noticed the tiniest of yellow fruit (jemmer) and green balls (brice) on a couple of my plants yesterday. :D

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 13:06 »
planted some seeds which took ages to germinate so i thought id nip out and get a couple - landed up with 4 which have been planted, the next day after i planted 5 new plants have now germinated  so it looks like a glut on teh way

xx
Courgettes

Started by James on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 21, 2006, 22:58
by joolee
xx
courgettes

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 15:07
by gypsy
xx
courgettes

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 12:10
by Aidy
xx
COURGETTES

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 16:13
by muckyboots

Page created in 1.083 seconds with 36 queries.