Bugs in plums

• 10 Replies

Penny Finn

Bugs in plums
« on: August 28, 2013, 17:47 »
My plum tree is absolutely loaded with plums but EVERY one I pick has a bug in it!  Has anyone any explanation, or can you tell me how I can avoid the problem next year?  I am so disappointed as they look absolutely lovely!
Thank you
Gardening Granny
Gardening Granny

compostqueen

Re: Bugs in plums
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 17:50 »
It's usually wasps.  You have to beat them to it if possible and get the plums in.  I've had to harvest my apples early as the wasps had arrived and made inroads into them. 

Penny Finn

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 17:54 »
Wasps - really???  Do they look like little maggots? Each one is black all round the plum stone too, looks like tiny seeds.  Think whatever it is gets in through the stalk as most of them have a minute hole there.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 18:25 »
There seems to be far more Plum Moth this year than normal. Plums with a maggot in ripen early so hopefully the later ones will be better.
Never tried the traps mentioned here,

B1gj-_gec5E

brownp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 19:53 »
I didn't know that about them ripening early with maggots in. My Victorias were infested with most having a little pink maggot inside...I had harvested them , removed maggots and made them into jam but was then told that they shouldn't be ripening yet....that makes sense....
The ones that were left unripe on the tree were the ones not infested then .....
Next year, I'm going to get a pheromone trap to hang underneath the tree

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 22:41 »
HI brownp, totally totally concur, all my victorias are the same. Jam route seems likely as well as does pheremone traps etc
R

Sparkyrog

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 22:43 »
After 3 years of this pruned mine at ground level today ! >:(
I cook therefore I grow

Eblana

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 22:46 »
The fruit on my plum tree aren't too bad this year.  Last year I lost them all to some sort of a rot problem.  However all the leaves are full of tiny little holes and have been like this since May (this seems to happen every year).  Any suggestions what is causing this and what I can do to stop it happening next year.

superjen900

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 23:08 »
My plum tree was full of blossom, but I only have 6 plums, the tree has been planted for about 4 years, do they have to mature more to get a decent crop? The leaves on it are also full of holes so I will be interested  to find out also

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:48 »
The fruit on my plum tree aren't too bad this year.  Last year I lost them all to some sort of a rot problem.  However all the leaves are full of tiny little holes and have been like this since May (this seems to happen every year).  Any suggestions what is causing this and what I can do to stop it happening next year.

I think the brown rot and the holes in leaves are down to the same thing , Aphids. The plum trees can get heavily infested early on and the little darlings leave holes in the leaves and young fruit which leaks sap and allows the brown rot spores to get a start.

superjen900

If plenty of blossom is present  the tree is trying to fruit, quiet often  frost will knock the blossom off before it is pollinated.

Penny Finn

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 09:13 »
Has anyone tried the traps, if so do they work and when is the best time of year to use them?  I will be sorry to lose my crop again next year.
I have done what a previous poster said though, and cut mine up and used the 'good bits' to make chutney, which is lovely!
Gardening Granny

xx
plums

Started by grizzlymonkyboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 21:55
by grizzlymonkyboy
clip
Plums pt 1 & Pt 2

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2020, 11:01
by Ivor Backache
xx
Plums.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2023, 08:39
by Candide
xx
Plums

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 17:00
by AnnieB

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 28 queries.