I have just bought PSB and calabrese Marathonseedlings from B and Q

• 6 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Have I wasted my money, is it too late to plant them out?

They are in the polystyrene trays and have 4 or 5 leaves each.  Do I need to pot them on first or shall I split them and bung them in the soil?

And, if I manage to keep the slugs off them, when might I harvest?

Thank you anybody, I find calabrese and broccoli planting and harvesting times very confusing
 :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
The PSB will depend on the weather and whether it early or late PSB, but can go straight out - slug pellets and netting would be good ;)

I'm a bit  :wacko: about the Marathon calabrese though as it's usually sown earlier in the year to crop in the Autumn or sown in September in polytunnels/coldframes for planting out in Spring.
Can you give them any protection if they're to be planted out on the plot?
http://www.kingsseeds.com/kolist45/4/11008.htm?r=true

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Thank you muofstig, will plant out PSB now.  B and Q haven't specified early or late PSB.  The label says plant out July to Sept, harvest Sept to Nov.  Don't think this makes sense, it'll have to grow quickly.

The calabrese label is the same :ohmy:.  How about potting the seedlings up, bringing into the greenhouse in autumn and planting out early next year?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
That sounds a good idea to me  :)

Salmo

Thank you muofstig, will plant out PSB now.  B and Q haven't specified early or late PSB.  The label says plant out July to Sept, harvest Sept to Nov.  Don't think this makes sense, it'll have to grow quickly.

The calabrese label is the same :ohmy:.  How about potting the seedlings up, bringing into the greenhouse in autumn and planting out early next year?

The PSB seedlings are a bit late but might make a crop. They may not have long enough now to make a decent framework depending when cold weather arrives.

The calabrese should be OK to produce a crop October/November. They may need a fleece if the weather comes cold.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
This is the second year running that I've planted summer PSB out way too late. Out of 2 autumns going that's not great... :nowink:

But last year some of the plants made it through winter and I had lovely PSB when it got a bit warmer.

BabbyAnn

Marathon - last year I grew it and despite the wet summer produced a summer crop (main head), and a second cropping (smaller spears) in autumn, and well into winter (January) and through to spring, yet another batch of spears :)   I only dug it up because I needed the bed for something else but I think it was on its way out anyway by then.  There was no fleece, just netting to keep the cabbage whites/pigeons out.

xx
calabrese

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 14:28
by DD.
xx
calabrese

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 22:42
by kermit
xx
Calabrese - what next?

Started by allotaveg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 13:05
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Calabrese

Started by p-robin-g on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 22:07
by kermit

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 38 queries.