handling birds

• 6 Replies

redreet

handling birds
« on: August 24, 2013, 07:57 »
Am I the only chicken keeper in the universe unable to "catch" my chickens.  They come running when they see me with their food but they shy away when I try to pick them up.  They are impossible to catch and I desperately need to spray them and dust them.  Anyone got any ideas how I can get to them to treat them?  I just seem to
be scaring them and I do go about trying to pick them up very gently!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 08:02 by redreet »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: handling birds
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 08:51 »
No it is a common problem redreet, especially with young birds and those not laying yet.  I would try just handling one bird per day so that they are all not panicked.  If they are really flighty do it on an evening when they have gone to roost.  They should be calmer then and easier to handle.  If you make a routine of it they should get used to you. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 08:52 »
I have got mine to flap up on to a handrail to get treats from my hand .
By the time they realise they are going to be picked up it is too late for escape ! :)
They are inspected, and afterwards put back on the perch to get the maize .

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 08:55 »
Oh, what fun. I'd suggest you make a habit of picking them up when they are going to bed in the twilight and getting on their perches. This will give both of you confidence and you'll find which birds have favourite positions when being held. I find most are happy with their weight on the breastbone or slightly to one side so they are laying on one wing. Others prefer to stand on your hand. Remember that they've no diaphragm, so pressing on the tummy will give breathing problems and panic.
Get to know your run/garden whatever so that you can trap them in a corner. Some people use a fishing net, but I've never found the need.
By now you'll also have realisied that chooks have a sense of fun and getting humans to chase them is an excellent way to stave off boredom.
On the good side:- you'll never have to join a gym :)

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:15 »
A kiddies pond/butterfly net is best for catching if you have to. :)

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 12:12 »
My girls "love" me the most when I have a bag of mealworms in my hand.  I sit down in the run with them, scatter the mealworms around, and they're that busy picking and pecking, that before they know it, they've had their health check.  I do the same for dusting with DE, handful of mealworms and whilst theyre busy devouring them, pick up, dust and so on.

redreet

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 11:13 »
Thanks for all the advice on catching my chickens.  So much good stuff here I intend trying all of them!!!

Thanks everyone,  I will let you know how I progress......   watch this space!!!

Redreet

xx
Handling new birds

Started by JJM on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 12:01
by ANHBUC
xx
Handling chickens

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 18:39
by poultrygeist
xx
HANDLING HENS

Started by joyce c on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 16:11
by janeheritage
xx
Handling my girls

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 18:54
by chickenlicken

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 28 queries.