Just racked....

• 19 Replies

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
Just racked....
« on: August 17, 2013, 07:57 »
Just racked the beetroot wine, the addition of the red grape juice to the brew makes the wine a lot more palatable, the beetroot taste is not so earthy,
     We were on holiday during the fermentation so I was unable to keep a check on it's progress, the wine finished at 17.5%  :)
      I think I've enough beetroot for a couple of gallons more  ;)

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
Re: Just racked....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:59 »
Well done...we're waiting for our last sowing to be the right size so that I can get a couple of galls on.  I like the idea of the RGJ, will follow suit...cheers
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 14:16 »
17.5% that's strong wine
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 14:36 »
Mmmm...may need some advice later on chaps.  ::) 

When I told a friend I was going to be making some wine, her OH disappeared into the shed and returned with a brown glass DJ containing what they thought 'may be beetroot wine'.  Apparently it had been there for 'several years'. 

When I get my last batch of Muntons sorted, I shall gather up the courage to uncork it and let you know how it went!  :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 14:48 »
I will alert a&e in your area lol

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 15:23 »
Mmmm...may need some advice later on chaps.  ::) 

When I told a friend I was going to be making some wine, her OH disappeared into the shed and returned with a brown glass DJ containing what they thought 'may be beetroot wine'.  Apparently it had been there for 'several years'. 

When I get my last batch of Muntons sorted, I shall gather up the courage to uncork it and let you know how it went!  :lol:

The first thing Auntie is....it's in a brown DJ...that's a good thing.
It's "several years"???? not to sure about that length of time....fingers crossed for you.
If you do decide to partake of a sniffer....please lie in a horizontal position on a level surface to begin drinking.. :tongue2: :lol: :lol:

BobE

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 22:40 »
Might be worth letting it settle for a week.  It has been shook up.  Then rack it off.  It will either be wonderful or a good compost feeder.  You are lucky to be able to try it, it might be perfect.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 22:46 »
Many year's ago ( like around 35) I dabbled in wine making , one year I made some pear wine 7 year's later we found a bottle leftover at my Grandparents place that had been sat in an old fashioned pantry ! so we opened it and it was like a dry sherry absolutely great .But that sounds unusual  ;)
I cook therefore I grow

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 22:47 »
Maybe I should write a will just in case?  ::) :lol:  Have a feeling if it's any good, I'll hand it over (minus a bottle for moi, of course).  :)

BobE

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 22:51 »
Maybe I should write a will just in case?  ::) :lol:  Have a feeling if it's any good, I'll hand it over (minus a bottle for moi, of course).  :)

One glass won't kill you, you might get a bit dizzy.  The smell will tell you if its bad.  Thats why our nose is just above our mouths. 
If its good, take it home, tell them it needs bottling.  Give them one bottle.  Just stay off line until its all gone.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 23:04 »
One glass won't kill you, you might get a bit dizzy.  The smell will tell you if its bad.  Thats why our nose is just above our mouths. 
If its good, take it home, tell them it needs bottling.  Give them one bottle.  Just stay off line until its all gone.
They've already given it to me Bob,  I just haven't had the time/courage to have a look.  :)   Tut, tut!  :ohmy:  Well, maybe 50/50 then but my expectations are low.  :lol:

Many year's ago ( like around 35) I dabbled in wine making , one year I made some pear wine 7 year's later we found a bottle leftover at my Grandparents place that had been sat in an old fashioned pantry ! so we opened it and it was like a dry sherry absolutely great .But that sounds unusual  ;)
My dad had a few grape vines once Sparky but the resultant wine tasted disgusting so he bunged it in the loft.  Ten years later, apparently it was bootiful (I say apparently because I never get a lookin).  :)  Not sure I'd forget about any wine lurking around here though.  ;)

BobE

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 23:07 »
Let it stand for a week, Its been shook up.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 23:13 »
Let it stand for a week, Its been shook up.
Maybe I should give it a good jiggle and say it need another year or two?  :lol:

BobE

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 23:21 »
Everybody is waiting to see the outcome.  A week is enough torture.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 23:57 »
Everybody is waiting to see the outcome.  A week is enough torture.
Ok (sigh).  I have just moved it to the 'brewing room' and will give it a week.  Maybe I should get Arron to film my reaction (suitably attired of course - I'm sure we have an NBC suit around here somewhere  :lol:)?

xx
Just racked.

Started by thedadtony on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 17:47
by grinling

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 28 queries.