Graff

• 7 Replies

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
Graff
« on: July 16, 2013, 20:50 »
Still waiting for the Graff experiment to finish (a cider and beer mix) conditioning in the bottles still,.....I hope!!!

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
Re: Graff
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 21:32 »
Cracked a bottle today, redoable, if that's a word , the chocolate malt really smooths out the sharpness of the cider, straight out of the fridge a really refreshing pint mmmmm.....

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:10 »
Still waiting for the Graff experiment to finish (a cider and beer mix) conditioning in the bottles still,.....I hope!!!

I've missed this one Tony....a hybrid???? cider/beer cross???  please bring me up to speed on this one. ;)

"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 20:38 »
Yes Captain it is a hybrid, if you go onto you-tube and put in Northern brewing tv. graff you'll see where I got the idea from.
    Our son is a all-grain brewer, when he has a brew-day I go and help, mainly washing up and sampling previous brews and chipping in with encouraging noises, i.e."by gum that's grand, let's 'ave another"
   A few months ago we made a Porter, and ran an extra 5 lts. of water through the mash which I brought home with  the the spent hops, I boiled the whole lot up for an hour then added 5 lts. of chocolate malt wort to it to make it up to 8lts, I then added 8lts. of my 2011 cider, 1.6 kilos of sugar, to bring it up to 1.040 then threw in some beer yeast and left it to brew. after the longest ferment I've known it finished at o.996.
    It was definitely worth doing and I will do it again using a Stout kit and pressed apple juice, our son's mash-tub (insulated coolbox ) has sprung a leak hence the beer kit. :(

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 07:40 »
Wow..what a read, I'll check y-tube later as I'm just sat at home under doc's orders. Running extra liqueur through a strong  mash is an old way of doing a 2nd brew, in this case for you it fell into your hands so that you could test this type of brew. Glad it worked out for you,  I do AG myself can't wait to do a brew as I've not brewed for about 4 months. There's a guy who does cider in the next village, as I've just bought an old cider press my better half saw him and asked him for any tips. When he found out about my AG brewing he's asked if it would be possible to visit when I next brew as he want's to get into AG.

Bummer about the cool box, I take it's the plastic type?, I had one or two leaks when I used one. I then bit the bullet and got hold of a thermobox off Ebay (Germany).   

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 07:56 »
Our son has bought the same , he's waiting for a false bottom. Have you got a scrabbler for your cider making?

Capt Zero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:20 »
Scrabbler came with the press mate... :D Just watched the graf video...looks interesting, all out of Mr Kings mind?? :ohmy: may have a go at a small brew later on. Found this recipe at Brewtoad.. Here

Great news about the mashtun, must say tho..I do find it can still loose up to a whole degree C over a 90 min mash...I'm thinking that it's because I did a bottom drain, so had to cut away a small part of the insulation.

For a false bottom I use a S/Steel  splatter guard from Aldi...around the £3 mark

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 18:57 »
Thanks for that Captain, very useful info. :D

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.