Water Cups/Nipples

• 5 Replies

Prod

Water Cups/Nipples
« on: August 12, 2013, 16:34 »
I don't have a water supply to the field near my cottage where I keep the chickens so I have been looking at various options. I collect rainwater from the shed on the field into a large water butt and I have a couple of large water storage containers.  I use the traditional poultry water drinkers but I am constantly having to fill them, they get dirty and knocked over as well. Has anyone any advice re using Drinker cups or nipples fitted to water storage?  There is also a universal nipple type  fitting that fits to any large type plastic bottle (i.e coke/lemonade).  I also found a great site called Royal Rooster which has cups and a great set of drinker/feeder tubes  but it is based in Australia so the postage costs aren't probably worth it though the set is very reasonably priced I think. (someone should get the UK license   :D)

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
Re: Water Cups/Nipples
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 16:40 »
I got a 10lt plastic bucket(go ask at your local busy café they get mayo in them) and then bought nipples of ebay
LINK very easy too drill bottom of bucket and they self tap in.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 20:07 by ANHBUC »

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 18:20 »
I found that our birds just ignored the nipple type drinkers (but they are spoiled brats!). The solution we've taken is a drinker, from Charlies but I'm sure commonly available, which hangs by a string. The valve at the top is controlled by a spring. Water from a higher level container (bucket, tub, etc) goes to the valve, down the sides to the drinking bowl. The weight increases pulling down and compressing the spring. As the spring is compressed the valve shuts. As birds drink, the bowl lightens and more water is admitted. Works really well.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 18:34 »
I also just use a 10lt bucket in the run too so they can get water were ever they fancy  :)

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:21 »
Having tried various types of water container I settled on small 3 to 5 litre buckets. They did not get knocked over stayed clean and it was easy to get the ice out in winter. They were easy to clean  as well - the traditional chook waterers are a nightmare. I used buckets that horse feed supplement came in so they did not cost me anything and I was recycling. I wouldn't use anything else. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 08:59 »
These are what we use.

When we had loads of chickens, we did have the ones like ehs284 mentioned, but they got knocked a lot with the chickens running around.  But the half height buckets we get at the cheapy shop for £1 are brilliant and get knocked a lot less than a full height bucket, and some have lasted for 5 years!

Sorry the last one is a bit dirty, some of them did get used as a roost at one time!
DSCF0002 (6) (320 x 240).jpg
IMG_0493 (480 x 360).jpg
DSCF0015 (2) (320 x 240).jpg
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:00 by GrannieAnnie »

xx
Water Nipples

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 20:00
by Chookiechook
xx
tap or water butt water

Started by RebeccaM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 20:53
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Water?

Started by Louise on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 22:56
by slowef
xx
water

Started by feutty on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 21:48
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 36 queries.