News from the refuge

• 312 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: News from the refuge
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2014, 12:00 »
yes it happens a lot where the chip moves.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Oliveview

« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2014, 18:59 »
So nervous/excited, Celeste is now the next dog to be ´dropped off´ Poor girl is such a shy thing, I hope she is ok.  She will have a wonderful life with her new family I know, she will take time though!

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #212 on: June 30, 2014, 14:17 »
Celeste is very nervous, but getting better, she will realise she is safe. Milo took to his new home as if he had always been there, he even fell in the pond!!
Nani goes off in 9 days, will miss her, she is a sweetheart. This afternoon we go to pick up a Yorky cross, she was in the Zoosanitorio pound in Sevilla, she was in danger of being killed, they cull the dogs there, they no not get long there.  She was supposed to be s boy!!
She is going to Miss Mollies Rescue, the same people who rehomed Tano.  Tano has a big fan club!!
We said no more fostering this summer!

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2014, 10:21 »
Well Scooby, now Daisy is here.  She smelt dreadful and her fur was all greasy- so the first thing was a shower, then another shower!  She is a beauty. 
We stopped at the vet on the way home, the pound had given her a rabies jab and  dated for a year ahead when the next jab is due-   which would be good, only they have used a vaccine that is only valid for 15 days and the 2nd jab has to be given in 15 days.  The vaccine used not one on the UK list of approved jabs, so the vet gave her another jab!  Then a re-jab in a month, as is Andalucian law.  Her passport says 13 months old, but she is more like 18-24 months. She has not long had pups either- her teats are big, either not long or had a few.
Daisy is back to be sterilised today.  She willmake a great pet, good with cats too and the dogs all get on, not bothered at all.

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #214 on: July 02, 2014, 10:23 »
Daisy has been spayed, all ok.  She is a sweet girl, very quiet.  How can a person just throw her onto the street? 
Back to the vet this morning to get her checked.  We will take Nani with us too, then we can take her to see the president of the refuge, as Nani starts her journey tp the UK next week.  The president´s baby is due in the next week or so, so she might be indisposed very soon!!
Celeste has been causing problems,she was going for her new owner and attacking her other dogs- very out of character with Celeste, she was such a peaceful quiet dog.   The owner realised that Celeste had 3 toys in her bed, she was protecting them like they were her babies!!  She would not leave them alone.  So this  morning when Celeste left the bed for a pee the babies were re-homed to the toy box!  A snake, a duck and a doll!!  Hopefully now Celeste will be over the protecting my babies syndrome.  She has never had a soft toy before!!
Silly Celeste

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2014, 14:41 »
Nani goes off tomorrow :( I know she will be happy, so I must be happy for her too. She is now a playful happy girl :D

Pamela

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2014, 20:44 »
More good news Pamela - lovely to hear  :)

joyfull

« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2014, 09:25 »
great news  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2014, 09:52 »
Well done Olive!  You are doing a great job. Keep on keepin on  :D

Oliveview

« Reply #219 on: July 12, 2014, 15:26 »
I got a bit of a shock on Monday- we got a call to say the pick-up had been changed, instead of Tuesday it would be in 6 hours- so my plans for Nani all went out the window.  So a very early tea for her, as I did not want her travelling on a very fat tummy.  She went off howling the van down!  When we got tot he pick-up point (just 10 min from here, and not an almost 2 hour trip to Malaga) Antonio came to meet us at the car, I opened the door and Nani started to growl and growl, she was protecting me!!  She soon made friends with ANtonio over a piece of  home made livercake,  fickle woman that she is!  Her microchip was checked- all correct and off to the van she went.  :(  Antonio pulled out behind us and as we stopped at the first junction we could hear Nani howling away!  :( :( 
She went to a dog residencia where the UK government appointed vet checks her chip, passport and gives her a worm tablet and flea and tick treatment then yesterday they started the trek to the UK.  I know she will be ok, she is such a sociable girl- the lady who is adopting her (all being well) is the mother of the lady who fostered the Galgo Nieve I rescued. 
Watching the journey on a tracker, they are in teh UK now- behind schedule as there was a bad accident close to Paris last night so traffic diverted onto small roads.  The last trip they finshed 6 hours or so ahead, not this time!
We have been sent photo´s of Milo in Scotland, he is so happy, loves the sea! Celeste was very very scared, but now she is getting there and playing with the other dogs, so Celeste will soon be a very  happy girl!

Pamela

snowdrops

« Reply #220 on: July 12, 2014, 20:01 »
Oh poor Nani, she must be frightened, if only she could understand it will be for the better for her. Well done on such a good job you do for them all. :nowink:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

joyfull

« Reply #221 on: July 13, 2014, 05:42 »
luckily dogs are very adaptable and once they know they are in a happy place they soon relax  :)

Oliveview

« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2014, 14:56 »
Yesterday was a happy and sad day at the refuge.  We had had 4 pups dumped at the door- we could not take them inside as we had no place what ever to put them.  Then a little while later the mum and another pup arrived (The mum looks like a short haired German Pointer)  We tried to find a foster home locally but nothing.  Then a rescue came to our help, so yesterday Jim and I went to collect the puppies and their Mum.  On the way to the refuge a message came through to say Pumba, our old boy at the refuge, was dead  :( :(  What a shock.  He was a sometimes grumpy old man, but when Pumba was happy Pumba was very happy.  We think he died of a heart attack- he was old and the temperatures were very hot (been around 38-40 deg) It was a very sad day for us all, we all loved Pumba.  He was on the verge of going to a forever foster home too.  I always said Pumba would die at the refuge. People say it is a shame refuge dogs do not have a family- it is a big shame-but our dogs are all well fed and mostly very happy dogs, they do not know a warm sofa (we were given a sofa for them to sit on, it lasted 2-3 days :ohmy: :lol:) but Pumba knew that we all loved him xxx   
The pups were all ok in the car- shame I cannot say the same for the Mum- she had very bad diarrhea- all over the back ´boot´ bit of our car- ohh the smell!!  There was not a bit not covered in it!!  So the first thing when we got to the refuge was to hose down the spare type cover bit and I had to take off my trousers and wash them too! Thankfully it was hot and they dried fast.  Then it was bath time for Mum, as she was covered in poo too. The poor girl, only young, her teeth are pristine, was skin and bone, that did not happen overnight.  They are now all safe and hopefully all will be healthy.  The pups had huge fat bellies, but that could be worms.
We are still fostering Daisy and tomorrow we get Rosie, she is in a killing pound.  Both are off to new homes in the UK.
People ask why do we try to get homes in the UK when there are plenty of dogs in the UK needing homes.    We are trying (my friend and I) to save dogs from the ´perreras´ (pounds)  they are not a nice place to go- hell is the word for them.  If you look on youtube for the perrera at Mairena del Aljarafe you will see what hell is like for these dogs.  That was closed down by people pressure after the pictures were released, we have been told that there are some pounds far far worse than Mairena del Aljarafe.  After Mairena was closed more photo´s emerged, bodies of dogs piled high there. There was cats too, they suffer the same fate in the pounds.
Now the good news, Celeste is fabulous and so happy in her home, she even sits on the sofa!!  Milo has a fan club up in Scotland and so does Tano in Harrogate.  Nani (who I think might be re-named Annie) is in doggy heaven- she had a roast dinner on Sunday- and ate the cats roast too!!
Tomorrow Daisy gets a haircut and her last blood test for med diseases.  The other two were negative.   :D  Rosie will just be here for a week, she is booked in for a sterilisation operation on Thursday. 
So finishing on a happy note  :D

Pamela

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 15:03 by Oliveview »

Springlands

« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2014, 15:55 »
Pamela - thank you once again for your update. It is hard to read sometimes and must be even harder for you to deal with on a daily basis but so good to know that someone cares for these animals.  :)

evie2

« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2014, 16:09 »
Pumba was loved and he won't be forgotten x

On a lighter note, whilst having a glass of wine at the weekend, I was thinking about the dogs who have come to the UK.  They will all be bilingual and I wondered if they barked in Spanish :lol: By then it was two glasses ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 16:11 by evie2 »
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
PACO IS ADOPTED ... YES I AM SHOUTING THE GOOD NEWS!- now bad news

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

45 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 15:38
by Oliveview
xx
Good News Bad News

Started by cissie on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 15:14
by cissie
xx
When days get bad at the refuge, they get bad

42 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 21:56
by shoozie
xx
2 refuge dogs off to new homes today

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 15:00
by joyfull

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 37 queries.