Polytunnels

• 23 Replies

mashauk

Polytunnels
« on: January 01, 2008, 16:37 »
In case anyone is looking for polytunnels and hasn't seen my other post, a company on Ebay are currently doing them for £32.99 plus £18 postage (England not sure about other areas) on a buy it now basis.  They're 3m x 2m. Just type polytunnel in the search area.

I've got one on order :lol:

WG.

Polytunnels
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 16:42 »
What was the seller's eBay name please?  I was going to post a link for peeps but can't see a BuyItNow listing.

mashauk

Polytunnels
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 16:57 »
Quote from: "WG."
What was the seller's eBay name please?  I was going to post a link for peeps but can't see a BuyItNow listing.

Oops, sorry, type in greenhouse instead of polytunnel, it's the 2nd one down.  I can't recommend them as I haven't received it yet, but guy has communicated with me about couriers etc and seems ok!

WG.

Polytunnels
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 17:02 »
Is it cee.cees2007?  He only has auction listings at this time.  Good feedback scores though.

mashauk

Polytunnels
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 17:16 »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Superb-Quality-LARGE-3M-x-2M-Walk-In-Greenhouse-B-N_W0QQitemZ250201291820QQihZ015QQcategoryZ42153QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

don't know if this will work, it's sc leisure, he does have buy it now, it's the top of the listings, just looked!

WG.

Polytunnels
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 17:23 »
okay ta - dunno why that didn't come up in my search. Got it now though.

Can't quite make out how it attaches to the ground but that has a fair old 'sail area' to catch the wind.

mashauk

Polytunnels
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 17:34 »
okay ta - dunno why that didn't come up in my search. Got it now though.

Can't quite make out how it attaches to the ground but that has a fair old 'sail area' to catch the wind.

Now you've got me worried, I do hope I've not wasted my money.  I've looked at it and can't work out how it attaches to the ground either, and it says you need no tools!  Worst case scenario, I'll have to re-sell it but I've just checked his feedback and no-one seems to be complaining about them and he's sold a fair few.

WG.

Polytunnels
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 17:41 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
Now you've got me worried
That wasn't my intent  :)

There is bound to be some provision but, in our climate, I suggest taking extra measures.  Perhap some concrete blocks or even some 6pint plastic milk bottles filled with sand (kinder on polythene cover).

Sally A

Polytunnels
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 17:43 »
there seems to be some anchor points but the skewers look a bit wimpy, suggest you beef up the tethering.  you'll have more of an idea on what you can do when you get it.

PS - bet you put it up in the front room as soon as it arrives.

mashauk

Polytunnels
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 17:48 »
Now you've got me worried
That wasn't my intent  :)

There is bound to be some provision but, in our climate, I suggest taking extra measures.  Perhap some concrete blocks or even some 6pint plastic milk bottles filled with sand (kinder on polythene cover).

I will but this is a pain in the butt, as I don't have transport to move (or know where to find) concrete blocks.  Will look into finding somewhere to get sand from.

By the way, there's no way I could put it up in my front room first! :lol: Nothing is ever simple is it, and every time I think I've got a great bargain something goes wrong :(

WG.

Polytunnels
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 17:50 »
Nothing is ever simple is it, and every time I think I've got a great bargain something goes wrong :(
Der der, not at all!

We are just anxious that your bargain stays in the intended spot. :D

mashauk

Polytunnels
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 17:54 »
Me too, it's hardly a bargain if I can't find it one day!  Had one of those little plastic 3 tier jobbies on the flat roof last year, but lost that, had it tied to a pipe but it wasn't enough, still it suited for starting a few bits off, got really hot up there as have south facing garden.  You can't walk on the roof when it's a hot day without shoes. Also ordered an electric propogator and have now realised I have nowhere that I can think of to put it :?

Charlie

Polytunnels
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 16:00 »
I bought 1 about 2 months ago and it comes with small tent peg thingies,I would advise using something a bit longer and roping it down as mine keeps blowing off the frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mashauk

Polytunnels
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 16:04 »
Quote from: "Charlie"
I bought 1 about 2 months ago and it comes with small tent peg thingies,I would advise using something a bit longer and roping it down as mine keeps blowing off the frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Typical!  Thanks :lol:

Rob the rake

Polytunnels
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 17:17 »
I don't want to add to your worries Masha (although I fear I'm going to!) but after checking out your link, this looks very similar to a plaggy greenhouse I was gifted last May.
The frame looked a bit flimsy to me, so I sank metal poles to a depth of about 3 feet, and lashed the corner poles to these.
The first good blow saw the whole thing do a Mary Poppins across two rows of gardens, reducing it to a pile of junk. All the ties and eyes ripped right out of the cover at the same time.

All may not be lost, however. What I would suggest is to make a frame out of scaffolding boards, the same size as the base. Fasten this down to well knocked-in posts or scaffold poles, and then use battens to affix the bottom edge of the cover to the inside of the frame. This way the wind can't get under it (the sides are too short to bury in typical polytunnel fashion).

It might sound like a bit of a palaver, but it's infinitely preferable to losing the whole thing in a stiff breeze.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

xx
polytunnels

Started by karlooben on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 18:35
by karlooben
xx
Polytunnels for allotments

Started by simbamara on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 14:39
by simbamara

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 36 queries.