why arnt my ross lohanns laying,

• 19 Replies

sanjoal

why arnt my ross lohanns laying,
« on: July 31, 2013, 10:12 »
Hi i'm new to this site and also having ross lohanns. they are very friendly birds, I jst have 4 in my garden, they have plenty to keep them occupied, a nice home, some good food, but they have stopped laying, I've had them since point of lay, 2 months now, and at first I had 1 or 2 eggs for the first week, but not a thing since. Am I doing something wrong?

snow white

Re: why arnt my ross lohanns laying,
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 10:19 »
What are you feeding them and what set up do you have?

sanjoal

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:30 »
I am feeding them layers mash, dry, they have fresh water daily. They have a large coop with 3 nest boxes, they have full run of my orchard, enough of an area to have 20 chickens I'd say, they also have a handful of corn once a day and a handful of mealworms once a day

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 10:37 »
They could be going through a mini moult - are they losing any feathers. Another possibility with POL's is that it takes them time to get  into the routine of laying. Apart from not laying do they seem to be healthy.

snow white

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:37 »
could they be laying around the orchard?

sanjoal

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 10:59 »
They seem healthy and happy and cant say that they are going thru a mini moult either. And no definitely not laying anywhere in the orchard. They just lazy ha ha

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 11:10 »
My first thought was that they have found a quiet spot that you do not know about to hide their eggs ! :D

sanjoal

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 11:33 »
no unfortunately not, I do check under bushes etc where I'd think they'd likely lay. Oh well guess I will have to be patient. Thank you all so much for your answers. A very nice welcome to this site  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 11:34 »
I think they could be laying away too. My friend had this problem and she found 30 eggs tucked neatly away in a pampas grass  :lol:

Springlands

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 11:54 »
When ours were free ranging they laid eggs in the coal shed - we found about 20 which were covered in coal dust. Must have been a very uncomfortable place to lay.  :)

Prod

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 19:07 »
You have to REALLY look  I thought my POL Copper Marans had stopped laying until I saw her coming out of the hedge in the corner of the field where I know I had looked. There were 15 eggs!!!!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 19:08 »
How old are the hens as POL is open to interpretation by whoever is selling them?  Are their combs and wattles bright red or still pink?  Do any of them curtsey (squat down) when you go near to them?  It could be that just one was laying and sometimes they are a bit inconsistent when they first start.

I would cut out all the treats as if they are free ranging they really need the rest of their nutrients from the layers mash so they can produce good quality egg shells.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sanjoal

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 21:48 »
They are now 28wks old, and seriously I have checked every nook and crannie and there are no eggs anywhere. Yes they do squat down when I go near them, am I too friendly with them, I go sit up there with a cuppa and have a good old chin wag with them  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 21:52 »
They curtsey when they are old enough to lay, they see you as the cockerel and it is a submissive pose.  Is there any possibility that your eggs are getting stolen?  Either by a two legged or four legged pest (human, magpie, rat etc.)?

sanjoal

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 22:03 »
No there is no chance of being pinched, I live on my own and spend majority of my time with the chooks or in my greenhouse, which is right nxt to them. They have a swell coop, nice and big with 3 nest boxes, they did lay when I first got them, then as soon as the hot weather came it all stopped,

xx
Ross Cobbs

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 21:02
by Aunt Sally
xx
Ross cobb cockerels

Started by sheridal on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 12:41
by Casey76
xx
ross/cobb chickens

Started by newbi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 00:48
by GrannieAnnie
xx
My Ross Cobb dosent seem well - can i still cull and eat?

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 20:00
by pushrod

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 28 queries.