spring cabbage at last

• 26 Replies

seaside

Re: spring cabbage at last
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 20:05 »
My greyhounds have done excellently, as they did last year, and the year before. A nice taste too..

After a slow start, several rot losses, a battering from the usual suspects and a month of rather dry and too hot weather, my round/spring/primo cabbages have made a comeback I thought they wouldn't make.  Which is more than I can say for the cauli and calabrese. I think those two might well be the brassicas to get the chop next year. Too much useless growth with little quality eating for the space, netting and nutrients allotted. Give me PSB every time.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 20:21 »
My calabrese broccoli has done really well this year - I've never successfully grown it before :happy:

It is however, in the walk in brassica house on my mates plot - I've hijacked it this year as he hasn't used it for 2 years.

snowdrops

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 08:19 »
That's a darned good cabbage ;) :)

That looks great, I agree  :) but unless you have a huge family, what is the point?

Is it just bragging rights  :D

MOS do you not love the fact that these huge cabbage can feed a family for a week. My reds usually get to this size almost by accident, i forget to look at them and then when i do they have taken over. I made 50 jars of pickled red cabbage from one plant, that i find is just comical and amazing especially when we grew it.
Have you used it all yet before this year's is ready?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beetroot queen

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 08:24 »
Not yet but florences baby sitter for tuesday loves the stuff so she'll take a few dozen jars or more.  :lol: she gets paid in red cabbage  :blush:

compostqueen

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 09:24 »
Huge brassicas is a man thing  :nowink:  I like my cabbages compact!  I don't want to be eating it for a month.

My mate grew some humungous cabbages even after his wife had threatened him  :nowink:  He asked me if I could offload them as his wife would go nuts if he took yet more giant cabbages home. We took them into town and sold all but two to the Chinese takeaway and the remaining two to a woman waiting at the bus stop. What she did with them once she got off the bus I would have liked to have witnessed :D

I love Hispi's and the very small savoy "Samantha".

Sweetpea C

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 09:29 »
So, is now the time to sow spring cabbages? I was going to put them in my first early beds but start them off in modules first ....have I got a clue or not?!
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 09:31 »
Get the seed packets out and get swotting up. I dug mine out yesterday and found Pixie and Hispi  :)

The Hispi will be sown in October in a tray and transplanted to the cold frame in Jan to crop in spring. Well, that's the plan

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 14:20 »
So, is now the time to sow spring cabbages? I was going to put them in my first early beds but start them off in modules first ....have I got a clue or not?!
Yes, now is the time to sow spring cabbage such as April or Durham Early in modules. Transplant outside as beds free up, or into pots if they outgrow the modules before the beds are free ;)

Sweetpea C

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 16:20 »
Yes, now is the time to sow spring cabbage such as April or Durham Early in modules. Transplant outside as beds free up, or into pots if they outgrow the modules before the beds are free ;)

Thanks Mum.....I'll do it in about an hour when I get home :-)

Sweetpea C

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 19:18 »
Done  :D

Jackypam

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 09:27 »
When do the butterflies give up?  I sowed some cabbage and left the modules unprotected and the baby plants turned into skeletons.  I guess I thought they wouldn't notice such little plants.  Do they need fine net even in sept/oct?

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 09:46 »
They must smell lovely and from a great distance to butterflies! :D
I sowed some cima de rapa broccoli and they have had those too.

I keep my maincrop netted the whole year as once the flutterbys have gone the pigeons tuck in.  ::)

xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy
xx
spring cabbage

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2020, 16:43
by jambop
xx
Spring Cabbage

Started by Shop Keep on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 16:59
by compostqueen
xx
Spring cabbage.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 22:00
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.902 seconds with 30 queries.