Planting and Harvesting

• 6 Replies

Nufan182

Planting and Harvesting
« on: July 24, 2013, 15:51 »
Hi again, (sorry)

Can anyone recommend things that I should be planting now? Also, what should I be harvesting now?

I have read many books which all seem to contradict each other and I would really like to be utilising the plot all year round.

I had some amazing help at the beginning of the year from the people at the allotment, but I am afraid to ask again as I feel I should know :-(

Any advice is very welcome or if anyone knows of a book that is the best 'Hard and Fast' rules to allotmenteering I would be very happy.

On the plus side the plots are actually looking quite well and I hope everyone else's is too. Also please make sure you are all drinking plenty of water and are keeping out of the sun during the hottest parts of the day (as you all are I am sure)

Nufan
An allotment newbie. I love my allotment, I am not sure it feels the same about me :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

solway cropper

Re: Planting and Harvesting
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 23:14 »
The simple answer to what you should be harvesting is whatever you have that's ready.

Nufan182

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 00:43 »
Thank you both very much. DD. Would it be ok if I printed a copy of the chart off?

Thank you both again
Nufan

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 01:31 »
I'm sure that nobody will object to you printing the chart.

Also, you should feel free to plant things that may just have a chance to bloom because of our unusual warm weather.
I.E. Although we are near the end of July, try sowing a few things that are suggested for sowing in June.

I've been out of the game for most of this year (in hospital) but now I'm back on the plot I will be sowing the following in the next few days:-
Dwarf French beans
Beetroot
Carrots
Lettuce
Mixed salad leaves
Rocket
Spring onions
Peas
Radish
Spinach
and, hopeful of success, purple top turnips.

I've also sown today some dwarf broad beans more in hope than expectation.

Having been out of the game for 6 months I'm going to be overjoyed with whatever comes to fruition.
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 05:34 »
Im going to trya few more swede too and winter radish to fill in the gaps. as for books Joy Larkolms grow your own veg has lots of common veg and less common too a fantastic book with charts in too.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 13:06 »
Planting and eventual harvesting depends on so many things like soil temperature, how wet or not the ground is and what aspect you have such as full sun, a bit of partial shade etc, where you live, and also it varies from year to year even when you do the same things at the same time. Take a general view (i.e. you don't plant parsnips in August!) and develop a feel when is the right time, especially by looking on here for what others are doing in your region. Above all, don't rush things by planting too early just because the packet says so - things usually catch up when they are ready to do so. As Solway Cropper said, harvest when ready - again, that will vary from year to year. In the past, I have got bogged down by sticking too solidly to instructions for planting times and distances. I'm more laid back now and haven't seen any real differences.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Potatoes again - planting and harvesting times

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 14:28
by mumofstig
xx
Harvesting PSB

Started by someoneorother on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 12:57
by someoneorother
xx
What are you still harvesting?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 21:42
by Madame Cholet
xx
What are you harvesting now?

Started by AdrianH on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 20:27
by yummy

Page created in 0.721 seconds with 31 queries.