Onion question

• 10 Replies

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
Onion question
« on: July 22, 2013, 14:16 »
My onions I planted in March are now nearly ready with a few falling over.  Won't be long before I can harvest the lot.  My question is, how long will they keep?

Trillium

Re: Onion question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 14:45 »
It mostly depends on your storage conditions. Shop onions are stored in specific temperature coolers. Home onions won't keep quite as long nor as perfectly, but you should have them for at least four months, if not longer.

It also depends on the onion type. Sweet onions are famous for very short storage. Winter onions will keep longer for that purpose.

Keep the storage onions no more than 3 layers thick for good air circulation, and in as cool and dark a place as possible. They're light sensitive which can trigger new growth. 

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 14:47 »
Cheers Trillium, I was thinking of stringing bunches of say half a dozen or so together and hanging them in the shed.  It's allus cool and dark in there.  Would that be ok?

Tea Break

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 15:23 »
As Trillium said any where where its dark, cool and the air can circulate around them. if you do get them to last over the three months just give them a check for any fungi or mould spores once a week.

Mike.

ryetek

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 15:24 »
Cheers Trillium, I was thinking of stringing bunches of say half a dozen or so together and hanging them in the shed.  It's allus cool and dark in there.  Would that be ok?

That's what we do and they kept right up to April from last summer's crop.

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 15:25 »
Thats great.  Thanks peeps :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 19:11 »
Just make sure the shed is frost-free if it gets really cold over winter ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

m1ckz

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 19:32 »
still got 8 of mine in the shed,,,did lose a few though

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 21:59 »
Onion Question Part 2.

I have grown onions this year from seed for the first time. (Ailsa Craig)   Sown in March.   They are now the size of onion sets and seem fairly happy.  i.e. still green. Do I just leave them to grow on,  or should I lift and store to replant as sets next spring?

My onions grown from sets are all dry and crispy and are being harvested. So I am guessing that onion growing season is over for 2013.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 22:12 »
Hi Gremlin, There are different types of onions, overwintering (grown from setts), spring sown setts (March-April) and seed sown in March/April.  The overwintered ones mature first - usually from late June to about now.  The spring sown setts usually follow and then you get ones from seed which usually are harvested in August. 

I would say, if you are after larger onions, you need to leave your seed sown ones another month (I think they need 22 weeks from sowing). 

I hope that makes sense.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 23:24 »
Onion Question Part 2.

I have grown onions this year from seed for the first time. (Ailsa Craig)   Sown in March.   They are now the size of onion sets and seem fairly happy.  i.e. still green. Do I just leave them to grow on,  or should I lift and store to replant as sets next spring?

My onions grown from sets are all dry and crispy and are being harvested. So I am guessing that onion growing season is over for 2013.

Your onions from seed have a several weeks to grow. They will fall over when they are ready to harvest. They may not be very big but they will be just right for the kitchen.

They will not replant sucessfully as sets next year. They will just bolt to seed. Onion sets are produced by sowing seed about now so that they just produce tiny bulbs by the Autumn which have not produced an embryo flower, and therefore just make a bulb when planted next Spring. Your onions will have a tiny embryo flower.

xx
onion question from first time onion grower

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:48
by gillie
xx
Onion Question

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 30, 2010, 20:37
by DavidT
question
Onion Question

Started by vonkiglin on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2011, 18:53
by vonkiglin
xx
Another onion question!

Started by miguelg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 04, 2014, 16:30
by miguelg

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 27 queries.