white currants

• 6 Replies

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
white currants
« on: July 21, 2013, 15:07 »
Sooo, all those currant bushes that are on the allotment that I got last year turn out to be white currants mainly (6 BUSHES) and red currants (2 bushes). I'm really disappointed cos I love blackcurrants and there are NO blackcurrant bushes. I think I'll dig them all out and plant blackcurrants for next year. Anyone agree that's the best way forward?

Beetroot queen

Re: white currants
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 15:12 »
If you were closer i'd swap a couple of blacks for whites we have ten black and two red and zero white  ::)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 15:12 »
If you want blacks, then by all means replace the whites. But you might want to keep at least one white one as they're the sweetest and very prolific. If you have a failure or low yield with the red or blacks, you can always mix them with the whites to enhance the yield. The colours will be paler but the flavour will be there.

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 16:27 »
If you were closer i'd swap a couple of blacks for whites we have ten black and two red and zero white  ::)
Aw, Beetroot Queen what a shame we are so far apart  :(  I would gladly swap some!!

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 16:28 »
If you want blacks, then by all means replace the whites. But you might want to keep at least one white one as they're the sweetest and very prolific. If you have a failure or low yield with the red or blacks, you can always mix them with the whites to enhance the yield. The colours will be paler but the flavour will be there.
That's a good idea. You're right they're very prolific - they just don't have the flavour.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 19:10 »
Very prolific, indeed!  :tongue2:

OK, I have one pot-bound plant, but I rarely get more than a couple of dozen currants off it. Admittedly, I lose the same amount to some mysterious currant thief (no matter how well I think I have netted it), but the yields are pretty poor compared to my redcurrant (and i don't have a blackcurrant here to compare).

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 02:13 »
That's odd because no matter what pest invaded my currant patch, the whites always outproduced the reds or blacks.

xx
Cordon Red & White Currants

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:30
by lacewing
xx
Currants - red, white and black...

Started by LucasAndRichard on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 28, 2008, 01:27
by Trillium
xx
Gooseberries and white currants in pots

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 14, 2018, 11:01
by Dev
xx
Standard or bush for Gooseberries or white currants

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2016, 19:46
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.603 seconds with 28 queries.