feeding leeks

• 1 Replies

Grubbypaws

feeding leeks
« on: July 21, 2013, 09:08 »
This is my first year growing leeks in containers. They have been put in the same containers newly vacated by the potatoes. I have added some slow release fertilizer but what now? The are the winter variety Poulton F1. I have looked on the net and some folk say feed once a week/fortnight and others say dont feed as this causes bolting.  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: feeding leeks
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 09:19 »
Many plants will flower prematurely if stressful growing conditions make them "think" it's now or never to complete their life cycle.

Unusually large variations in temperature, lack of (or inconsistent) water, and lack of food are 3 possible causes of stress.

Leeks are of course a leafy veg which need plenty of nitrogen, and particularly in a container will need regular feeding and watering, although the slow release stuff should keep them going for a while.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Feeding leeks

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2013, 16:07
by Goosegirl
xx
Feeding leeks

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 18:26
by Yorkie
xx
feeding leeks

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 13:13
by Goosegirl
xx
Additional feeding for leeks

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2015, 10:20
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 37 queries.