Advice for a newbie please

• 19 Replies

Juhannus

Advice for a newbie please
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:34 »
I'm looking for some advice please. I bought 5 hens and 2 brothers 3 days ago. I was assured the brothers didn't fight and since I trusted and know the seller, I believed him. It's been mayhem since they've been moved. It's obvious there's a dominant cock and yesterday when I went to the allotment I noticed that the other one had blood on it's comb. I separated them yesterday, with the dominant cock being segregated. I had to lock them up separately last night, with the dominant cock in the shed. As soon as he was out of sight the weaker cock started to peck and grab the hens wings, it sure didn't look like treading to me. The hens don't want to know him at all. They huddle together and flock towards the dominant cock when he is out of the shed.

I have no idea if this is normal behaviour because this is the first time I've kept birds. Given a choice, I'd prefer to keep the underdog cock but not if the other hens won't accept him.

I've tried to rehome one of the cocks but have had no luck so far. The whole situation has been very stressful for me. The person I bought them from now accepts that the present situation will never work but won't help me in any other way.

If it's important the hens are 2 y/o copper black Marans, the cocks are both 14 months old and were introduced to the hens 4 months ago.  Dominant cock is a copper black, the other a copper blue.

compostqueen

Re: Advice for a newbie please
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:49 »
Someone will be along in a bit to advise so hang in there  :)

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:54 »
Im not very experienced but will share my tale!

Our seller has also told us that if the cockerels were born and raised together they wont fight, but when we have had young cocks (upto 3 months old) they have showed signs of fighting, so I don't know how true that is!

I have 8 hens and 2 cockerels, I only wanted one cockerel as I was worried about the fighting, but one of my silkie girls was obviously wrong sexed, for several months my silkie girls all stayed together , running away and not really mixing with my bantam cockerel, but after several months the bantam cockerel had the rule of the roost he has all the girls now, if the silkie cock tries to tread any of the girls the bantam cock chases him off, fortunately there isn't too much fighting as the silkie is a big softie, and he has to give a real chase to chase any of the girls, which is such a shame!

Cockerels are difficult to rehome but you may become lucky!

Hope someone else comes along with some advice!

splash101

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 13:51 »
with my very limited experience of cockerels, even if they are brothers they will fight unless they are seperated and have their own group of ladies each, and then they will still likely have a go at each other if they get the chance

If you take away the dominant male, another male will become dominant in its place.

I dont think your ladies will have much say in the matter eventually. They are probably flocking to the dominant one because he is protecting them. He is only doing his job.

If you get rid of one of the cocks, doesnt matter which one, the fighting will stop. If you dont, it will probably end up with one being killed or severly injured.

Juhannus

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 15:07 »
Thanks for the replies.  I know the dominant one is best at his job but it's a relief to know that it doesn't matter which one goes.  I'm guessing the wing pulling is caused by him trying to assert his authority.  I can't stand the thought of them fighting because I've seen myself that it can get pretty malicious in there.  And now that blood has been drawn I guess it's all downhill from here. 

I have thought about separating them into 2 groups but it's not really a viable option in the time space I've got.  I'm guessing my only realistic choice is to wait a week to see if someone will take one and then take one to a seasoned fowl owner.  It's really not a choice I was ready to face 3 days into my new venture  :unsure:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 15:11 by Juhannus »

grinling

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 19:46 »
Be also aware that under the allotment act you are not supposed to have cockerals, so if anyone complains both will have to go.
Are you happy to eat what might be fertilized eggs or are you thinking of breeding?

Juhannus

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 20:22 »
Be also aware that under the allotment act you are not supposed to have cockerals, so if anyone complains both will have to go.
Are you happy to eat what might be fertilized eggs or are you thinking of breeding?

I was planning on breeding them and have no issue with eating a fertilized egg, especially as I'll collect them every day (if they ever settle down enough to begin laying again)  The allotment is in a pretty rural location and several others have them too. 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 20:56 »
The fighting could have been caused by the move as it is different territory.  They will have been fighting because of that even if they were quite happy and knew their place in their old home.  Now they have started to fight you need to keep them apart or it could end up in the serious injury or death of the weakest. 

Make sure the wound on the injured one is cleaned and use purple spray (applied with a cotton bud if near the face). 

If you have never kept chickens before I would advise that you worm all of them with flubenvet asap.  Also check for any lice or mites on them including checking for signs of scaly leg mite.  Once you know they are all clear of any unwanted visitors and they are settled in they should start laying again soon.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Juhannus

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 21:33 »
Thank you so much for that advice  :)  They were dusted with red mite stuff when we moved them but I wasn't aware of the other things, especially what to do about the wound.  It seems fine but I'd rather take no chances at all. 

I've kept them apart so far since it happened but the dominant one is being kept in an unsecure run surrounding the secure run, through the day and at night he has to be locked in the shed, while the others are in the secure run.  He hated going in there tonight but he was a lot more settled once the door was shut.  In fact they were all a lot more settled tonight.  No wing pulling or anything.

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 09:13 »
As you are new to keeping poultry it might be best if you have a good read either a poultry keeping guide or the numerous articles online.

There is also lots of information posted on HERE and HERE.  Don't be too alarmed by some of the information though as it can be daunting thinking of all the things they can catch but most are rare.  Anything you are unsure of you just need to post and you will normally get plenty of advice and support.   :)

Juhannus

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 09:58 »
As you are new to keeping poultry it might be best if you have a good read either a poultry keeping guide or the numerous articles online.

There is also lots of information posted on HERE and HERE.  Don't be too alarmed by some of the information though as it can be daunting thinking of all the things they can catch but most are rare.  Anything you are unsure of you just need to post and you will normally get plenty of advice and support.   :)

Thanks  :)  Since reading other posts here I've realised that maybe my fellow plot holders aren't the best people to seek advice from.  Before yesterday I'd never even heard of purple spray.  I had a look this morning and there's no evidence of scaly leg mites and considering they aren't laying anyway, now seems to be an ideal time to worm them.

I've been told I'll learn as I go along but my guess is I care a bit more for the happy, healthy welfare of my birds than the people I've spoken to at the lottie.  The general advice I've had there is to leave the surplus cock in the unsecure run overnight which is not an option that I'm willing to consider.

Thanks for the links.

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 10:21 »
If you worm with flubenvet there is no egg withdrawal period so you can do it at any time.  Most people treat their poultry 3 to 4 times a year.

You are probably better advertising your spare cockerel, there are plenty of free ad sites.  Just try to vet the people who want a cockerel as some use them for illegal fighting.  If you are wanting to swap for something or free to good home you can advertise on the forum on HERE 

You are doing the right thing wanting to learn before you have need for the information.  It makes it so much easier to cope with a situation if you have some knowledge beforehand.  You can also use wound powder on cuts but if you don't have any ordinary cornflour is a good substitute.   ;)

They were dusted with red mite stuff when we moved them

Red mite don't live on the poultry, they live in the coop and crawl up the chickens legs overnight for a feed.  I am not sure what they have been dusted with but it could have been diatomaceous earth powder.   :)

Juhannus

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 10:47 »
You can also use wound powder on cuts but if you don't have any ordinary cornflour is a good substitute.   ;)

They were dusted with red mite stuff when we moved them

Red mite don't live on the poultry, they live in the coop and crawl up the chickens legs overnight for a feed.  I am not sure what they have been dusted with but it could have been diatomaceous earth powder.   :)

These are the tips I need thanks.  I have plenty cornflour so will use that to put on the cut. They were treated with THIS

Modified to shorten link
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 16:12 by ANHBUC »

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 16:10 »
That is for lice and mites that live on poultry and other species of birds.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 16:20 by ANHBUC »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 06:42 »
Can I suggest that you arm yourself with a couple of good books about chickens, here are two that I can think off:-

http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/backgarden-chickens.php  and another on keeping chickens by Katie Thear.

As for which cockerel to get rid off then keep the friendliest one to people. If that is the least dominant one then dont worry - he may not have been doing his job just yet but once the other is out of the way he will get the hang of it  :)

Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Newbie Needs Advice

Started by kyz1981 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 17:34
by kyz1981
xx
Newbie needs advice!

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 08:32
by Dannii
xx
Newbie after advice & just to HI

Started by Chicken Dinner on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 16:11
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 30 queries.