Really want chickens.......but

• 20 Replies

cissie

• Experienced Member
  • Every day in every way....it's just not working.
Really want chickens.......but
« on: July 11, 2013, 16:43 »
Hello,i'm really looking for reassurance but i know you'll be honest, do chickens always bring rats? I would love 3 or 4 birds but live in a terraced house and would hate to bring vermin to my neighbours. I would plan to have a plastic coop with run made from chicken wire and place the coop ect onto slabs with suitable floor covering. I have read the article here on rats but would be afraid to put poison down as i have 4 cats and a dog, is good housekeeping enough to prevent rats? Thanks for any advice, Cissie.

Sparkyrog

Re: Really want chickens.......but
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 16:52 »
I wouldn't worry about it ! As I understand it the accepted formula is that on average you are never more than 6 ft from a live rat  :)
I cook therefore I grow

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 17:02 »
as I tell ppl who ask me is it a chore avin chooks,NO wat I do is everyday I have a glove and bucket and I pick up as much off poo out the shavings on the coop floor and out the nest boxes as I can ,takes me 5 mins,then once every three weeks ill clean floor and nest boxes out takes me ten mins cos it practicaly clean I have a largish run half covered to the elements half not ,the half that's not as straw scattered on the floor gets picked up once a month and replaced takes ten mins,my feeder is hung up so no food on floor to encourage rats and I think cos of cleanliness they not around my coop that ive seen :) ive got a mouse that scuttles out the nest boxes now and again but not mind a mouse lololl

cissie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 17:11 »
You make it sound a pleasure and that's what i'm hoping. Only ever seen one rat and that was real dead when one of my cat's left it under the stairs for my breakfast :D I quite fancy the solway eco loft so it would be off the floor, like you i quite like mice and have rescued more than one :D

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 17:39 »
they are a pleasure ,seen ppl give em up because they say they've become achore, but when you ask why its always to do with time it takes to clean them out thouroghly every now and again usually after being left for months,prob very sad but I quite often sit for 10 mins watchin them lolol

cissie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 18:01 »
I'm retired so time isn't a problem, after my holiday i'm really going to go for this would 3 be a good number to have ?

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 18:07 »
I think 3 be fine ,remember when you buy ure a coop to get one bigger than you need cos I guarantee once you get 3 youll want more lolol

cissie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 18:12 »
Thank's for your advice i look forward to joining you as a chicken keeper :)

Chrysalis

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 18:59 »
We've never seen a rat in or around our coop and run.  The occasional mouse maybe, but not overrun with them at all.  ;)
 We find the dog is a good deterrent to vermin like rats and foxes. :tongue2:

At least three hens is good advice - you'll want more once you have them.  Also, if they're noisy, more hens means more eggs to placate the neighbours!  ;) :lol:

Go for it!

cissie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 19:23 »
Thinking ahead what breed do you recommend i was thinking Bantams but would the eggs be tiny. :) Plus is there a link on here for the first time keeper giving a list of everything needed.

splash101

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 20:39 »
I've just swapped all of my big chickens for bantams. Its working better for me now. They are less destructive and produce a lot less poop. They are now in a large Walk in run instead of walkin' allover the garden  :D I do leave the run door open sometimes but they havent plucked up the courage to step over the threshold yet, They are such ....... well, chickens.

Doesnt mean I wont have big chickens again but it suits for now.

The eggs are smaller but i dont think they are that much smaller than supermarket size small eggs.

As to what breed you go for, well that is all down to personal preference (no doubt long list will appear shortly)

Yes, bantams may be prone to broodiness and less eggs, but the number of eggs i was getting with large chickens was becoming a promlem (too many eggs and i dont sell them).
On the other hand, broodiness to the hatch-a-holics amongst us may be a good thing  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:33 by splash101 »

grinling

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 22:17 »
Bantams may go broody, hence no eggs, but I have a scots dumpy, bantam size eggs without the broodiness. Baking cakes with bantam eggs you need 4 for 3 egg, but it is slightly richer.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 22:39 »
Bantams may go broody, hence no eggs, but I have a scots dumpy, bantam size eggs without the broodiness. Baking cakes with bantam eggs you need 4 for 3 egg, but it is slightly richer.

I hope you haven't jinxed yourself.   :ohmy:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

BobE

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 00:17 »
Rats.  If you feed the birds you feed the rats.  Its true, Springwatch recommend bringing birdfood in after dark.  Rats will hang about where food is freely available and bird feeders are a perfect food source.  The only reason you will attract rats is if you allow them to get at food.  If they can't get into the chickens cage then they can't get that food and will not be a problem.

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 08:28 »
Absolutely! Keep clean and remove food at night. Go ahead and enjoy :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
chickens

Started by paulinemcdougall on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 18:55
by ness

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 30 queries.