Dispatching

• 7 Replies

viettaclark

Dispatching
« on: July 09, 2013, 00:13 »
I now have 6 chooks and I'm only getting 1 or 2 eggs a day. Two birds are 4+ and the other 4 are 2+. One goes broody every 5 weeks and stays broody for 4 weeks and 2 lay soft eggs (when they lay) and one had to be warm-water bathed and massaged to remove a soft broken egg recently. She hasn't laid since. They all laid wonderfully for the first year then dropped off.
They have plenty of oyster grit containers round the runs and get fresh greens everyday as well as grass from free-ranging. They are on layers pellets and have treats such as mealworms/sunflower seeds/oats or corn to get them back in the run in the evening.
They are all really healthy but I have finally decided after much deliberation and researching advice and info on the site to cull some to allow me to add new laying birds to the group. I really don't need more than 4 if they're laying ok.
Is there anyone in or near Southampton who could assist me, please? I have never done it before but feel I should learn as a responsible flock keeper. I am not squeamish of the act itself, more concerned with ensuring a humane dispatch.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Dispatching
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 13:25 »
Wish we were nearer Vietta!  Hope you find someone near you!

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 16:39 »
For your own sake remember this ! the quicker they are plucked after Dispatch the better ,do the primary wing feathers first then the tail ,after that go straight to the breast then they are less likely to tear  :)
I cook therefore I grow

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 23:05 »
No luck yet.....might Google it.
I wrote to Omelet and the reply was a bit of a shock. Basically they cater for pet chooks and just because they don't lay is no reason to dispatch. (You could end up with a huge flock of non-laying birds, really) I was advised to find new homes for them or take them to the vet to be put to sleep.
Strange because there's quite an informative thread about dispatching on their site and courses available so maybe I got a rather emotional customer service rep.
Anyway....Cadbury, who had the worse internal laying probs is suffering again and  I must do something.
And thanks for the advice on plucking.....hopefully we'll have a couple of boiling fowl.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 23:09 »
I can tell you how if you wish , but I cannot do it for you !

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 23:13 »
Do you have a small holders assocation or self-suffiency group they are usually good helpful people.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 20:54 »
That was a fantastic suggestion!
I got in contact with the Chair of the Southampton Allotment and Gardeners Association, of which I am a member, and she has come up trumps!
Thanks very muchly! :D

grinling

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 22:13 »
You need to break the broody one's habit and the 2 which lay soft shelled eggs, how old are they and do they show any other symptons; if they have mycoplasmia it can be passed onto new birds.

xx
Dispatching for the Pot

Started by fatbelly on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 18:41
by Nails
xx
dispatching

Started by gcb on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 13:27
by joyfull
xx
The Art of Dispatching

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 18:08
by shetan
xx
Dispatching

Started by The Chicken Lady on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 14:40
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 28 queries.