Bird safe netting?

• 1 Replies

Nomad

Bird safe netting?
« on: July 03, 2013, 23:03 »
I went up to the allotment tonight to do a little weeding and found a young female blackbird trapped in the plastic netting covering my strawberries. She had obviously got in under the edge but tried to escape directly through the net itself and got quite tangled. I managed to cut her free and after hiding for a bit to recover  she flew away to the other end of the site quite happily.

The netting I use is the plastic type from Aldi that changes shape a bit when stretched if you know what I mean?. .Should I use a different type for netting crops or is this just one of those things that happens sometimes? I felt rather guilty - I would hate to think of the poor bird being trapped overnight and starving or getting eaten by the local cats/foxes!
There is not necessarily anything wrong with doing things that are profitable. It is when "profit" becomes the dominant motive that the cycle of disaster begins.
-John Seymour

ptarmigan

Re: Bird safe netting?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:33 »
Hi.  The wind blew the netting partially off my strawberries and when I went up to check a bird had got caught - it was distressing but it flew out when I lifted the net off.  So I've now fastened the edges down with bricks all the way round and pulled the net taut that way.  Also put some tent pegs in too to keep it pulled down.

It's just veg netting from Wilkos - stretches a bit but not much.  I'm hoping that'll stay put now but it's reasonably easy to remove the bricks and pick the fruit. Well the fruit that hasn't been slugged.

clip
bird netting

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 22:05
by Wellington
xx
Bird friendly netting

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2019, 08:41
by sunshineband
xx
Good online supplier of bird netting

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2019, 07:59
by AnneB
xx
What's it safe / not safe to plant after garlic?

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 09:07
by DD.

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 36 queries.