Do or Die for Billy-----UPDATE

• 41 Replies

Prod

Do or Die for Billy-----UPDATE
« on: July 03, 2013, 15:48 »
 For those of you who have been following the story, and thanks for your advice and support, after another 2 anti inflammatory jabs and 5 days of antibiotics Billy eye is no better and has not responded to treatment. His eye is the size of a small marble, very solid and painful and although the eyelids are open there is just a solid yellow substance which is probably the abscess.   I have just spoken with the vet who said that it would not be worth trying any more antibiotics so I am left with 2 options: a)to cull him either via the vet or by hand ( I could not do the latter) or b) an operation to remove the eye. They say they will just charge me for the anaesthetic and drugs etc with virtually no charge for their time as a) they have never operated on a chicken before and b) it is a teaching practice. They also appreciate I have already spent £50 over the last 2 weeks.  They want £50 for the op and say I can pay in instalments (that isn't the problem) it is justifying it all.  When I got the pair of Orpingtons  the guy said he had them as a breeding pair  but I have yet to see Billy 'in action'  although that could be that they haven't really had chance to settle in till yesterday when I put them in a new coop and enclosure. I know what my partner would say  but I am an old softy........ I don't know what to do.... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 17:37 by Prod »

compostqueen

Re: Do or Die for Billy
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 17:10 »
Oh dear I'm sorry to hear about Billy.  I think you know what you want to do and that is to give him a crack at life without his eye. The vet wouldn't do the op if he/she thought it hopeless.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 17:34 »
It would be a shame to give up on him now especially as the vet is going to do it at such a reasonable price - plus the fact you would be helping them get more knowledge about chickens. My vets did an autopsy on one of mine cheaply as the vet was using it to teach a couple of other vets in the practice  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 17:59 »
After what he has been through I wouldn't think he would feel like romancing the ladies.  You have probably crossed the line of breeding stock to pet so I would be surprised if you didn't go ahead with the treatment.  Either way you have given him a chance and no one will judge you whatever you decide.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 18:40 »
Well I have just had  along chat with my partner and we have been to look at Billy. We have decided that, in for a penny in for pound. He is such a lovely boy it would seem wrong to cull him and I have researched that chickens can adapt and live well with only one eye. We don't have kids or major responsibilities and even though we are retired and on a fixed income  you have to spend your money on summat  don't ya? :) :)

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 19:45 »
I had an ex bat hen that lived a perfectly happy life with just 1 eye and she was still the boss of the flock.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:19 »
I'm pleased you have decided to give Billy a chance with the op  :)  Fingers crossed that with the abscess removed, he bounces back to health quickly.  I don't think missing an eye will make any difference to his quality of life.  Chickens just get on with it  :)

Prod

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:58 »
Well I have to call the vet back today to confirm I will be taking him in tomorrow morning, hopefully picking him up on Saturday morning. I will post with progress. Thanks for everyone's support and advice.  Considering we are supposed to be 'hunter gatherers' it is amazing how you get so protective and feel so responsible for the welfare of an animal particularly a chicken.  Some people I guess would say we are crazy but it's my conscience and I do feel slightly responsible for his present condition........ :wub: :wub:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 08:04 »
aww keep us posted on his progress x

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 10:22 »
There is nothing wrong with getting vet help for chooks. It's the right thing to do if you care for animals properly, which we all do on here I hope  :)  Anyway, you invest in them to bring you eggs or meat so you have to protect that investment don't you  :)

I hope all goes well for Billy. We'll all be thinking about him  :)

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 16:33 »
Will be on holiday on Sat but if I can get a mobile internet signal I will be checking in to see how Billy dose.  Fingers crossed.

Prod

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 20:12 »
Thanks everyone  :)  I actually took Billy in today because I don't have use of the car tomorrow & I am picking him up on Saturday morning , if all goes well, I have to ring about 3 to see how he is. The vet isn't charging me for boarding him, they are really good. It was quite funny at the vets today as one of the nurses was nervous about a cockerel as she thought they were all vicious!!!  I took Billy out of the cat basket and laid him on his back on the counter  and just left him there, he never moved!!! Everyone was smiling  so I know he is in good hands....

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 20:18 »
You will be able to list your vets on the Poultry friendly list which hopefully will get them some more custom as they sound as if they deserve it.  Just add them to THIS topic and they will be added to the list.   ;)

Wishing Billy a speedy recovery.   :D

barley

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 22:53 »
awww what a touching story

good luck Billy rooster

BobE

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 22:58 »
Prod, respect.  Your doing the right thing, well done.

sad
ILT OR MG update

Started by drumcrow on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 11:35
by drumcrow
xx
SAD UPDATE

Started by betty on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 23, 2008, 17:04
by betty
smiley
Zsa Zsa Update

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 23:14
by ANHBUC
xx
leg update

Started by gibbo on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 16:34
by gibbo

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 30 queries.