Do or Die for Billy-----UPDATE

• 41 Replies

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
Re: Do or Die for Billy
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 09:17 »
Here here....hoping Billy goes on okay, and is home soon.

Prod

Re: Do or Die for Billy-----UPDATE
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 17:40 »
Just spoken with the vet & Billy is fine.  Although they did have to remove his eye they were more worried about the anaesthetic i.e. how much to give him and whether he would survive.  Anyway I am picking him up in the morning so I will know more then. Thanks for the replies/support :happy: :happy:

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 17:53 »
Great news

BobE

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 19:14 »
Prod thats brilliant.  Thanks for the update.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 21:09 »
Excellent news.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 21:20 »
Billy made it though his op  :D  That is really great news  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 22:19 »
Ooh what a relief, I've wondered a few times today if he made it through. :happy:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

barley

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 23:20 »
Ooh what a relief, I've wondered a few times today if he made it through. :happy:

Me to snowdrops  ;)

he sure is a brave little chap - on tender hooks for tomorrows news now  :unsure:

compostqueen

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 00:18 »
Aw thank goodness  :)  He'll need some TLC for a while but it sounds like he's in good hands. Well done Billy. I hope he perks up ok.  I hope the lovely weather holds out so he can get out and about in the sunshine  :)

Prod

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 06:18 »
Aw thank goodness  :)  He'll need some TLC for a while but it sounds like he's in good hands. Well done Billy. I hope he perks up ok.  I hope the lovely weather holds out so he can get out and about in the sunshine  :)

Thanks again All.....  I have made them their own coop and enclosure which is fenced off to bout 8/9ft. I've cut down part of the tree and moved the water tub to the other end of the shed so there is nothing for Thatcher to fly onto and get over.........  and the weather is set to be nice for the next few days
Nakins Sugar & Coop 013.JPG
Nakins Sugar & Coop 014.JPG

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 14:10 »
Great news, he will be back to normal in no time.

compostqueen

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 14:49 »
Sunshine is a healer so hopefully he'll soon be tip top  :)  Poor thing must have wondered what was happening to him  :)  Still, it's over with now and hopefully he'll quickly adjust

You must be feeling very relieved  :) 

Prod

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 15:59 »
Well  Billy is back home. His eye is still swollen but is stitched closed.  I have to give him antibiotics for a few days but the stitches will dissolve them selves.  He is back with Mrs B and crowing strongly!!!

The vet said his eye was completely taken over by the abscess which was a solid mass of yellow. If they hadn't operated he would have died a very slow painful death.  They have all been in stiches (forgive the pun) with the way he just lays on his back and stays there.  When I collected him at lunchtime the receptionist asked if I would show them one last time so I put him on the floor and he 'performed'  The people  in the waiting room couldn't believe it!!

I have seen an add on Preloved for someone who wants a Welsummer Cockerel to go with their 2 hens so I have replied to say I have Thatcher.  I hate to lose him but it is better than culling him or just giving him away to someone and passing the buck.  I don't think it is his fault at all but as I hopefully want to breed Mr & Mrs B-O and also some rare Nankins I think it is better he goes to someone who wants him.  I certainly cant afford for him to do anything like this again.

Thanks for all you kind words of support and interest. regards Prod.

compostqueen

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 18:19 »
Giving antibiotics is not easy if you're doing it single-handedly. Best recruit help if you can and do it at dusk as the bird will be more receptive.  My girl used to keep extending her neck to put herself out of my reach  :D

Prod

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 19:18 »
Giving antibiotics is not easy if you're doing it single-handedly. Best recruit help if you can and do it at dusk as the bird will be more receptive.  My girl used to keep extending her neck to put herself out of my reach  :D

Billy is a dream. he just stands there and lets me open his mouth and I syringe it down  All done in less than 30 secs!!!

smiley
Zsa Zsa Update

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 23:14
by ANHBUC
xx
leg update

Started by gibbo on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 16:34
by gibbo
sad
ILT OR MG update

Started by drumcrow on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 11:35
by drumcrow
xx
SAD UPDATE

Started by betty on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 23, 2008, 17:04
by betty

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 38 queries.