Pathetic onions

• 9 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Pathetic onions
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:29 »
My onions are looking truly pathetic this year. I was a bit late starting them off, but a lot of them still look like spring onions :(

At least the garlic seem to be doing well though. But so far the Iberian Wight and Thermidrome are way bigger bulbs than the Music. I've never tried Music before but have always had nice big bulbs from the other two. I was kind of expecting Music to be big though. Certainly the top growth is big on them, but unless they're late developers they're much smaller bulbs than the other two.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pathetic onions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:24 »
Give them a good feed and water, it's a bit early to judge quite yet ;)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 10:07 »
I would wait and see till they give up altigether by turning yellow. Time yet

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 13:02 »
I tried Bedfordshire champion from seed last year and they were pants. About a dozen of them managed to get to set size, so I saved them and planted them as sets this year. They haven't done too badly really. A couple have bolted, but I nipped 'em early doers and foiled their cunning plan. Others have split into two bulbs. Who cares as long as they are onion flavoured? The sturon sets which I planted have done better and are bulbing up nicely. Not one bolting. Some are a bit thick in the neck tho'.

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 15:48 »
Im so pleased with my over winter ones, they are massive.
Kind Regards
Bill

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 18:22 »
When you say late planting how late were you? Music needs to be put in in the Autumn, and if you put them in during the spring you wont get any decent bulbs from them. Can't comment on the other two as I've never grown them.

My music which were planted in Oct, are doing well, not yet dug, but I had a peek a week or so ago an the one I looked at was about the size of half a tennis ball.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 10:12 »
No, I meant I was a bit late with the onion seeds, due to the horrible weather and a disaster with the first sowing, but my garlic bulbs all went in in autumn, as always.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 10:23 »
My red onions are a bit pathetic, with a few bolted. Other onions are ok but not impressive. And i pulled 3 garlics this morning to use for later, one was smallish but the other two were huge, like elephant garlic size
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

JohnB47

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 16:51 »
Im so pleased with my over winter ones, they are massive.

Great crop.

Yours are doing what some of mine are up to, just this year - falling over despite good green growth. Curious. Is it the heat maybe?

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 20:09 »
My red onions are a bit pathetic, with a few bolted. Other onions are ok but not impressive. And i pulled 3 garlics this morning to use for later, one was smallish but the other two were huge, like elephant garlic size
I dont think ive ever had a decent crop of red onions,they just seem inferior to the normal onions.
Ive also tried some garlic for the first time this year but think i put them in too late.

xx
Pathetic Leeks

Started by Gravedigger on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 13:52
by Gravedigger
xx
Pathetic leeks - plant 'em anyway?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 00:30
by Cazzy
xx
Yes I'm pathetic...green onion help please.

Started by Irene on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 19:58
by DavidT
xx
Pathetic broad bean crop

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 09, 2017, 23:56
by AnneB

Page created in 0.813 seconds with 30 queries.