Why do my Hens smell so bad?

• 6 Replies

cbv8

Why do my Hens smell so bad?
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:38 »
Hi All,
After my 3 OAP Lohmanns died  :( :( :(  i bought some new (POL) Hens 1Light Sussex 1Copper Star 1Cuckoo Maran and 2 a little younger 1 Copper Star 1 Cuckoo Maran i have had them a few weeks now and they are all laying and getting on quite well with the odd peck now and then lol  ::) Anyway my problem is that they have had a few coughs and sneezes lately so my daughter got me some antibiotics from the farm she works at which is slowly working. I now find that when i get up close to them there is an awful smell coming from them which one/s i dont know but the smell reminds me of an animal that has died in the hedgerow and is rotting away the smell is that bad it makes me gag any help or advice very much appreciated  ;) 

Prod

Re: Why do my Hens smell so bad?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:03 »
Hi  I am unsure what the problem is , unless it is 'poo' related? or is there a dead rat/mouse around the coop area? Funnily enough I was going to post about the pair of Buff Orpingtons that I have (but I thought people would think me odd, then I realised they probably already do so here goes) which are the opposite. They actually smell nice, almost perfumed. I thought it was just me but I ask my partner, who reluctantly did a sniff test, and my neighbour and they both agreed that they do smell sweetly perfumed. A bit weird eh??? :wub:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:16 »
If you believe the hens rather than something in their environment are causing the smell then they have a bacterial infection that the antibiotics you have self administered are not dealing with. 

You'll need to consult a vet !

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:03 »
I agree with Aunt Sally that it is better to consult a vet when they are already unwell.

Once treated if the smell persists you can try bathing them in luke warm tea.  You will have to do it over several days but it has natural antibacterial properties so should help.  It worked for Helenaj's hen last year take a look HERE   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

cbv8

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 12:47 »
Thanks for the replies other than the odd sniffle and the stink they seem very spritley and happy/cheeky  ::) i will seek professional advice thanks again i like the Tea idea PG or Typhoo or i could try my daughters Earl Grey i suppose  :D

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 13:54 »
Even if they're spritley , I'd give them a very close examination for wounds or maggots and then a bath. Hens should smell of feathers.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 15:09 »
Hens should smell of feathers.

Oh yes !

I've never heard it described that way   :D

xx
new hens smell of wet dog...help

Started by dannyboy2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 21:45
by compostqueen
xx
How bad does Mr fox smell?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 11:01
by maxyboo
xx
Question about smell - please help!

Started by Nats on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 09:29
by Nats
xx
Smell and flies

Started by BGD on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 14:52
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 36 queries.