mini cucumbers

• 15 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

mini cucumbers
« on: June 19, 2013, 20:45 »
I got a suprise today. I've been looking around garden centres for a decent looking cuke, but they are all roobarb, or very small seedlings which may die at the first opportunity. And expensive! So today, I was well suprised to see some absolutely lovely looking cuke plants for sale at Aldi. Well developed plants in 4l pots, masses of roots, and as healthy as I've seen any. £2.99. :) What I'd like to know is what variety they are. It just says mini cucumber on the label. Will they be all female F1? It gives no idea of height or spread either. Anyone got the knowledge to fill in the info ommitted on the label?

grinling

Re: mini cucumber.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 21:37 »
might be outdoor cucs, can grow up supports or along ground. spiky skins which come off easy and very tasty.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 23:51 »
Does it say outdoor? Most outdoor cukes are smaller. I've grown a couple of gherkin plants too this year to see if they can be left to grow bigger or whether they must be picked very small because they get too tough/bitter. Doesn't say on the packet.
Assume they're outdoor and just let them sprawl......usually 3/4 feet or more (I do mine in pots at the back of  a high table and they scramble across and down but don't usually hit the deck. Pick them at about 4" and I wouldn't worry about m/f flowers. Just let them grow and feed occasionally.
When I think of all the faff I have growing the plants that price is very good!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 07:54 »
They might be these:

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/salad-seeds/cucumber-piccolo-di-parigi-vita-sementi-italian-seeds/gww0236TM

This is the variety we're growing this year in the hope of having plenty to pickle as gherkins. I didn't get them from T&M though..
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:43 »
It says on the patio (we only have a backyard ;)), so that's out. It also says greeenhouse, so I reckon anywhere willl do. I shall stick it in the GH and we shall see what we shall see.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 15:58 »
don't leave gerkins too long as they will mature to a yellow colour and stop producing anymore.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 20:08 »
Well, off we go with cuke syndrome once again. Bought this nice healthy plant (about a foot high with lots of folige and what looks like a few flowers forming) yesterday. It's only been in my GH for a day and it's gone manic depressive. Looks well sad with leaves getting light blotches on them.  :(

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
mini cucumbers
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 11:02 »
First year with mini cucumbers, what size is considered mature?      Do you pick them once the "flower end" is fully rounded?       If the answer is yes then they truly are mini!
Do you really need al that lettuce/

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: mini cucumbers
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 12:33 »
Which variety are they?

Mine grow to about 4-5 inches long.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 13:40 »
First year for minis here too - Piccolo di Parigi. I'm expecting the fruits to get to no more than about 3 inches - gherkin sized.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 13:50 »
This is a picture from a previous year (none ready yet this year).  This is a variety called Mini Munch.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 13:51 »
One week down the line and it's still alive. Not putting any appreciable growth on though, especially upwards. It looks like the growing tip has decided thats enough. I reckon it'll show a few cumbers at the bottom ot the plant, so I may get my money back in cumbers (just).

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 16:09 »
First year with mini cucumbers, what size is considered mature?      Do you pick them once the "flower end" is fully rounded?       If the answer is yes then they truly are mini!

I'm growing 'miniature whites' which are REALLY mini! http://www.realseeds.co.uk/cucumbers.html But they are doing well.  Got three out of three seeds planted now growing away full of flowers and tiny fruit.  I've got another two plants for 'back up' that are doing well too.  We did pick the first one at the beginning of the week and had a bite each as they're best picked at 2" long (or short!)!  Lovely!  It looks like we will have to wait a week or so for the next ones to be the right size but then they will be in good supply as there are lots at the same sort of sizes. Its my first time growing cukes of any kind so I am very excited by it all  :lol:

viettaclark

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 17:44 »
I had a ruler like that at school.
::) :D :D :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 17:46 »
They are collector's items now  ;)

xx
Mini cucumbers

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 12:33
by 8doubles
xx
mini beth cucumbers

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 10:54
by compostqueen
xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Mini veg what do I do??????

Started by mrspodington on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 08:31
by paul2004

Page created in 3.617 seconds with 37 queries.