Potting on cabbage

• 4 Replies

Beetroot queen

Potting on cabbage
« on: June 27, 2013, 10:30 »
I waited for my one lot of cabbage to get four true leaves before potting on, they potted on and then looked rough for 4-5 days. 95% recovered some didnt.

The next batch hubby potted on only with two true leaves as they were in his way  ??? However out of all of them the smaller plants look and coped so much better. No drooping, no looking sad, just got on with it.

I have another batch ( dont ask why so many cabbage)  ::) with two leaves on should i pot up early again or wait for the next set of leaves.

Its not the potting up so much its where to put all those 3inch pots full of cabbage.  :ohmy: someone tell me we are not the only family who are growing 200 plus cabbage at the same time.  :blush: we still have so much to learn

compostqueen

Re: Potting on cabbage
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 10:41 »
You can pot them on when they've got their true leaves but it depends how busy you are. I sometimes shore them up with a bit more compost.  They will be better potted up early as they exhaust the seed compo and will get leggy and straggly. 

I grow a lot of brassicas but in small batches as you don't want them all ready at the same time do  you  :)

I had a lovely Hispi off my raised bed at home last night. I normally grow them out on the plot but I had some spares. I covered them over completely with fleece when I planted them. They were as clean as a whistle. I didn't even wash em  :)

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 18:19 »
I pot mine on when they have two good sized true leaves and I plant them in quite deep too. 
I had a lovely Hispi off my raised bed at home last night. I normally grow them out on the plot but I had some spares. I covered them over completely with fleece when I planted them. They were as clean as a whistle. I didn't even wash em  :)

I've got hispi almost ready to go.  They are a bit nibbled though - were yours?  ???  I was thinking that they don't look very appetising then I reminded myself that this is homegrown not supermarket perfect stuff!!!

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 20:50 »
BQ I have to ask but what on earth are you going to do with 200 cabbage? No wonder you have got 3 allotments & have run out of room :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 20:54 »
BQ I have to ask but what on earth are you going to do with 200 cabbage? No wonder you have got 3 allotments & have run out of room :lol:

Half are reds. So pickled  :lol: have a look in my diary for my cabbage size pic. Hehe 11lb 7oz hehe
We do love cabbage but because i had never done or should we say been successful with cabbage from seeds i was convinced it would all fail........... And they didnt. I also blame amazon, 99p for 2000 cabbage means its very tempting to grow a few extra  :lol:

xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy
xx
white cabbage and red cabbage?

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 20:04
by muntjac
xx
Is potting up really necessary?

Started by Freerider on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2007, 17:41
by Aunt Sally
xx
Potting up

Started by darthpaul on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 13:06
by darthpaul

Page created in 0.636 seconds with 36 queries.