Pentland Javelin Not Flowering

• 15 Replies

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
Pentland Javelin Not Flowering
« on: June 19, 2013, 19:14 »
Evening all,

I planted my pentlands on 3rd April and they have not flowered and are only about 1 foot tall.

They look like they are a couple of weeks away from flowering, so I thought I'd dig a plant up as I was getting angry.

I found 1 spud. Yes, 1, and it was about the size of a 50p piece.

What did I do wrong?

My desiree's planted the same day, are about 3 foot tall and have been flowering for about 2-3 weeks.

Do flowers indicate potatoes?
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

fatbelly

Re: Pentland Javelin Not Flowering
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 19:16 »
I planted my PJ's on the 1st April and mine are only 8 inches high with no flowers.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Mark's Sussex Allotment

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 19:22 »
Strange, as others have said they are eating lovely bountiful crops......

Beetie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 19:34 »
I have the same with mine. They went in the same time as my charlottes and king eds but they are much smaller and no flowers whereas the other two are now starting to get first flowers.

fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 19:35 »
I have the same with mine. They went in the same time as my charlottes and king eds but they are much smaller and no flowers whereas the other two are now starting to get first flowers.
I set my Charlotte's at the same time as my PJ's & the Charlotte are twice as big and flowering

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 19:37 »
Evening all,

I planted my pentlands on 3rd April and they have not flowered and are only about 1 foot tall.

They look like they are a couple of weeks away from flowering, so I thought I'd dig a plant up as I was getting angry.

What did I do wrong?

My desiree's planted the same day, are about 3 foot tall and have been flowering for about 2-3 weeks.

Hi,
 Potatoes are late this year, I have only dug my Dunluce (planted in a large cloche end of Jan) now, earlies are supposed to be a twelve or fourteen week crop so you still have time to go!

Also the last thing, after blight you want on potatoes are flowers, they only hinder tubers swelling!

Cheers
STOP, and smell the roses!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 19:40 »
Evening all,

What did I do wrong?

Hi,
 Potatoes are late this year, I have only dug my Dunluce (planted in a large cloche end of Jan) now, earlies are supposed to be a twelve or fourteen week crop so you still have time to go!

Also the last thing, after blight you want on potatoes are flowers, they only hinder tubers swelling!

Cheers

Oh really? I thought flowers were a good thing... Should I be digging up my earlies (Casablanca) soon then even though there are no flowers?

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 19:52 »
I put 2 sees spuds in a 25L plastic tub harvested the first lot this afternoon. However, it was only because the plant was yellowing.

I got enough spuds to feed my small family of three for 2 evening meals.

The other plants look healthy and are quite tall, but I don't want to harvest them yet in the hope of getting bigger spuds.

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

Ema

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 23:43 »
My PJs and Premier also look far off being ready to crop. One or 2 have started budding. They will be 100 days old on the 20ths July and that's when I'll dig a few up.

Other plot holders are already harvesting their 1st and they planted around the same time as me.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 07:15 »
Evening all,

What did I do wrong?

Hi,

Cheers

Oh really? I thought flowers were a good thing... Should I be digging up my earlies (Casablanca) soon then even though there are no flowers?

Don't worry about the flowers, if they took that much energy from the plant to worry about, you'd see the farmers removing them!

Check what your spuds are doing by having a furtle. There's absolutely no point in digging them up if there's nothing there! Only dig what you can use in the short term, the others will be getting bigger day by day.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 08:32 »
I the past years i removed flowers religiously until DD made his point about farmers and then i stopped wasting my time, i have to say there was no difference in the harvest so the flowers stay now  :D

Rosehip

• My Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 09:25 »
I always go by the 12-14 week rule for earlies.Plot holder next door dug some of his up last weekend and they where marbles,but they are only in the ground 8 weeks that's to early to expect a good return.I dug up some Rockets I had in the tunnel for 14 weeks and it was a great crop.
The only time i take off flowers is when they turn in to little tomatoes as I think they take some growing from the potato. :D

Mark's Sussex Allotment

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 12:10 »
Is it worth having a furtle before the flowers appear?

Are flowers a sure indication of pots?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 12:22 »
Not all varieties flower at all. Pentland javelin does, but is a late bulking up variety. You probably won't cause any damage by having a very gentle firkle, if you really can't wait. ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 17:07 »
I will have a look this weekend then carefully.
Stupidly I didn't write down when I planted them out so not sure how many weeks it has been. I think it was the 2nd week in April and chittung since Feb so that would make around 10-11 weeks. Furtling it is!

xx
pentland javelin

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 07:53
by mumofstig
xx
Anyone here who rates Pentland Javelin

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 12, 2014, 21:10
by JimB
xx
Pentland Javelin potatoes

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 17:52
by lovemyveg
xx
Pentland Javelin. When to harvest

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 18:30
by DD.

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 36 queries.