• 91 Replies

crh75

Re: Pea Moth Treatment
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 15:47 »
Ditto.  :(

seaside

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2013, 18:55 »
My first crop had only two pods with the little wrigglers inside, and was pleased in general, although I will be trying a different pea variety next year. Not hugely impressed with Klevedon Wonder and it's taste.
I have sown a second crop of peas 10 days ago. While mildew may or may not be a problem with this second crop, I have fleeced it right from the start against birds and eventually moth. The temperature might be an issue, so I'll keep my eye on that.
But what I don't understand is why some folk think, say, brassicas should be netted 100% from butterflies and their munching offspring and yet there seems to be quite a different laissez faire attitude for some regarding covering peas from pea moth. I am no pea expert and wonder if I'm missing some great truth here.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 19:00 »

But what I don't understand is why some folk think, say, brassicas should be netted 100% from butterflies and their munching offspring and yet there seems to be quite a different laissez faire attitude for some regarding covering peas from pea moth. I am no pea expert and wonder if I'm missing some great truth here.

The butterfly that munches on brassicas is quite large and butterfly netting is cheap. 

The pea moth is quite small and insect netting is expensive.

seaside

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 19:44 »
Thanks Aunty. I couldn't for the life of me think of a growing reason for the difference in people's crop netting practice. Cost certainly is an issue for all of us.
I wouldn't be using fleece so recklessly as I do if I hadn't discovered the excellent tough fleece sold in Poundland that can last all season.. a real comparative bargain.
Outside of that fleece, I haven't found any butterfly/moth netting that is cheap and actually does the job. A net between relatively expensive  enviromesh/debris  and the 12mm+ bird netting, that works for moths and butterflies, is what I find difficult to source. Poundland marketed one earlier in the season but it was worse than useless as a protective net, and is now allocated for next year's peas as a one year only disposable climbing medium.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 21:14 »
I don't think this one is not too bad price-wise - compared to others of course ::)
http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Protection_Netting.html

Jackypam

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 22:46 »
The cabbage whites near us fly straight through anything bigger than debris netting. They don't even slow down!

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2013, 19:42 »
I can't see the point in spraying when there are safer alternatives. There is fleece, enviromesh or insect netting, and also scaffolding netting - which is wide and seems to be fine enough to keep most insects out. It also gives some shading which the peas appreciate.
Although I am not totally organic, I am loathe to use anything unless totally necessary, and I think in the case of pea moth there are much safer alternatives.
I worked in pesticide research 30 years ago and very few of the pesticides, fungicides and herbicides used then are deemed to be safe today. Who knows what will be found out about the chemicals we use today?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2013, 20:35 »
Some people can't afford the alternatives, you advise - so it has to be up to everyone to make up their own mind what to do  ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2013, 20:57 »
It is, Mum !

seaside

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2013, 21:12 »
Thanks for the link Mummy, that's a reasonable price and would do the job.
I have to say, however, that's the first time I have heard of affordability being used as a reason for using made for the job chemical pesticides rather than barrier methods. :lol:
I agree with PA here, in the case of pea moth there are effective barrier methods and they only have to be deployed at a certain stage in the growing cycle to stop the moth in particular.
I have come to the conclusion some people still prefer the spraying solutions, regardless. On our site it tends to be the older generation of growers, but not exclusively. Still, as you say, it's their food I suppose.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2013, 21:40 »
For me it's a no brainer.  It would cost about £150+ for me to cover my peas against pea moth.  It would make them the most expensive peas ever.

I do net them to keep the pigeons off though, that only cost about £10.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2013, 23:01 »

I have come to the conclusion some people still prefer the spraying solutions, regardless. On our site it tends to be the older generation of growers, but not exclusively. Still, as you say, it's their food I suppose.

Actually seaside we don't prefer it. And we don't do it regardless.

On our site it's the reverse. Don't tar all of us with your brush.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2013, 01:31 »
I don't like using chemicals and would only use them if there was no alternative, I got caught out this year as I only learned of the dreaded pea moth when it was too late for anything other than the spray - and I was too late with that as it turned out. Next year I plan to plant early and late to avoid the pea moth months if the weather permits, failing that I will use some debris netting.

Salmo

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2013, 08:48 »
Mesh only needs putting over the peas when the first flower buds are seen and can be removed once the pods have formed. However, it is essential to cover against pigeons form the start to finish. I usually cover with a wire guard until they need sticking and them put on enviromesh which is left on until picking.

Pea thrips have been a real pest this year making silvery patches on the pods and in some cases covering the whole pod and making them shrivel. I sprayed with Bug Off as soon as I saw the damage but too late.

AnneB

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2013, 08:59 »
Mesh only needs putting over the peas when the first flower buds are seen and can be removed once the pods have formed. However, it is essential to cover against pigeons form the start to finish. I usually cover with a wire guard until they need sticking and them put on enviromesh which is left on until picking.

Pea thrips have been a real pest this year making silvery patches on the pods and in some cases covering the whole pod and making them shrivel. I sprayed with Bug Off as soon as I saw the damage but too late.

It's really odd how pigeon preferences vary from place to place.   The ones on our site don't go near peas.   On the other hand they will strip kale and other brassicas to the stem in a flash.

xx
Pea Moth

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 30, 2024, 20:07
by Snow
xx
pea moth

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 15:51
by mumofstig
xx
Pea moth?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 17:34
by Aunt Sally
xx
Pea moth

Started by Muddylou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 07:26
by Muddylou

Page created in 0.625 seconds with 30 queries.