Shade netting on cauli

• 6 Replies

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
Shade netting on cauli
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:48 »
Looking back over old posts I see that some people use it - I think DD is one - and some people use 'debris' netting - and I don't know what this stuff is.

Anyway, to be precise I've used 50% shade/windbreak netting over my cauli this year and they've grown like triffids.

They're starting to head up and I don't think they're premature.  I haven't watered them at all but they've still made big plants, in a crowded bed at 2' spacing.

In the past they've made smaller plants with small heads, after not being watered at all, so I now believe in 50% shade netting.

Does 'debris' netting provide 50% shade?  Is it the stuff used on scaffolding?  It might be cheaper than the stuff I've used and I'm thinking of using netting more.

Thanks

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Shade netting on cauli
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:57 »
Yes, debris netting is the stuff from scaffolding. Different sizes to choose from on ebay  ;)

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 10:27 »
thanks mum..

Went straight onto ebay and found loads.  But most of it doesn't specify what shade it provides, although it's a lot cheaper than what I paid.

It'll all keep the pigeons off, but I don't want to do that at the expense of slowing the crop down because of there not being enough light.

I'll stick with the 50% shade specification, 'cos I've had good results with that, and I'll get a cheap roll off ebay to compare the weave with what I've been using, so thanks for that.

As a self-confessed geek I do a lot of reading up, but on my own allotment I don't see anyone using shade netting, or 'debris' netting,  only wide mesh stuff to keep the pigeons off.  Why, I don't know, because my reading tells me that shade is beneficial, but not too much shade.

Tom

edited to remove blog link
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:39 by mumofstig »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 10:45 »
It certainly doesn't slow them down - I think the micro-climate inside the netting makes them grow faster if anything  ;)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:50 »
 :) I am using shade netting (recycled from abandoned plots  :)) over all my brassicas this year. More than happy...... all the veggies are growing beautifully with no holes ,slugs, cabbage whites or birds. And, I don't know if down to the cover or not, but everything is perfectly clean. I haven't had to wash a cabbage yet!

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 11:12 »
I use netting for protection against birds and butterflies. To shade I just bend some leaves over. Use clothes pegs if need be or snap the vein.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 14:29 »
Although I haven't used shade netting in the past (but will next year) I tend to plant Brassicas in the shadiest place in my veg plot, as they don't blow as quickly in warm weather. The best cauli's I ever grew were in the shade of an old apple tree.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
debris / shade netting

Started by Sue32 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 13:17
by lucywil
xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
Cauli

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 31, 2007, 21:13
by WG.
xx
Help with my Cauli's

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 12:58
by AlistairMcLennan

Page created in 0.552 seconds with 30 queries.