Pea Moth Treatment

• 91 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Re: Pea Moth Treatment
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 00:49 »
I did spray mine with 'Provado Ultimate' but I must of been too late with the spray or did not spray them enough  :(

I picked the first ones a few days ago and they were OK, just picked some more today and they are full of maggots (yuk!)

I am going to plant early (March) and late (June) next year - will this be enough to avoid to avoid the pea moth or would it still be advisable to spray or cover them, I would sooner take extra precautions to prevent it happening again.

I suppose it's too late to sow more peas now?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 06:36 »
You've just about got time, but peas own now are very prone to mildew.

I've tried late sowings three times and had one success.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 08:00 »
:lol: :lol:

I must admit to giving mine a dose of Provado Ultimate Bug Killer if I deem it necessary. (It probably will, this year).

What is this! A moderator encouraging us to use a chemical on a crop for which it has no recommendation.

Unless they have altered the label on the bottle there is no recommendation for Provado UBK to be used on peas, so it should not be used. It is a systemic insectacide and penetrates into the plant tissues and hangs around to kill any bug that chews it. Potatoes require 15 days between spraying and harvest and beet require 35days so I would guess it might stay in the peas a while.

Pyrethroids are recommended, e.g. Bug Clear, but it is a bit hit-and-miss as you need to kill the maggots between hatching and burrowing into the embryo pods. Once inside they are not affected. The recommendation is to spray at the onset of flowering and again 2 weeks later.

I cover my peas with enviromesh at the onset of flowering. It can come off once all the pods are set but I leave it on to keep pigeons off.

Did you not read this post DD?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 08:34 »

Provado Ultimate fruit and vegetable bug killer can be used on peas according to Bayer!

http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/u/Provado-Ultimate-Fruit-,-a-,-Vegetable-Bug-Killer-Ready-to-Use.aspx
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:36 by mumofstig »

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 09:06 »
Insect netting can be expensive, agreed, but it becomes significantly cheaper if you buy a long length from a roll (from eg GardeningNaturally) either with friends or through an allotment association. It should last 10+ yrs if you look after it and you won't have to worry about killing beneficial insects, or having to wait until the active ingredient is at 'safe' levels for harvesting - I have flowers (which would need spraying) and pods ready to pick on the same plant.
Creator of the free Allotmentor veg garden/plot planner

Salmo

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 09:13 »

Provado Ultimate fruit and vegetable bug killer can be used on peas according to Bayer!

http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/u/Provado-Ultimate-Fruit-,-a-,-Vegetable-Bug-Killer-Ready-to-Use.aspx

Provado Ultimate fruit and vegetable bug killer only has a recommendation for pea and bean weevil, not for pea moth. It contains Deltamethrin as the active ingredient. It would be applied when the peas were very small and a long time before pods.
"Peas and Beans:
For the control of Pea & Bean Weevil, apply at first signs of adult damage (leaf notching). Repeat after 2-3 weeks if prolonged and heavy attack."

It is not the same product as Provado Ultimate Bug Killer which contains Thiacloprid.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:16 by Salmo »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 09:27 »
Deltamethrin is what the RHS tell you to use

If the level of infestation in previous years has been sufficient to cause real problems, the plants can be sprayed with an insecticide, such as deltamethrin
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=660

Salmo

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 09:41 »
If RHS say so then they are probably right.

Lets not lose the important point

Bayer Ultimate Bug Killer, containing Thiacloprid, has no recommendation for pea moth should not be used.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 09:59 »
You are quite right Salmo.

I'm not sure what the difference in spray date for pea moth and pea weevil is but peas should be sprayed (with the appropriate insecticide) when in flower.  They are self fertile so no bees are harmed.  If the insecticide zaps anything else that munches my peas that's ok by me.

crh75

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2013, 14:16 »
They are self fertile so no bees are harmed.
I'm pretty sure this is not quite correct.  Peas can be self-fertile and will be bee pollinated, so bees will still visit them and so may get poisoned. 

Forgive me and correct me if I am wrong here.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2013, 18:28 »
This is how it works........
Pea flowers are perfect and self-pollinating. The flowers open early in the morning and do not shut. The anthers shed pollen the night before the flower opens, but this does not reach the stigma until the flower is tripped, usually by the wind.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/members/seed_saving/ssg6_peas.php

crh75

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 12:00 »
Thanks MoS.
The point I was trying to make about insects still visiting peas is also mentioned:
Peas are generally self-pollinating and the likelihood of cross pollination is low. However, insects do visit pea flowers and can cause crossing.

So beneficial insects do visit peas and using an insecticide may harm them, contrary to what Aunt Sally said.

AnneB

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 08:27 »
Thanks MoS.
The point I was trying to make about insects still visiting peas is also mentioned:
Peas are generally self-pollinating and the likelihood of cross pollination is low. However, insects do visit pea flowers and can cause crossing.

So beneficial insects do visit peas and using an insecticide may harm them, contrary to what Aunt Sally said.

Bees do visit pea flowers.  There were loads buzzing round my CofE and Sutton's Purple Podded yesterday, going right into the flowers.  How widespread is pea moth?   I have never sprayed or netted mine and have never had any affected.   Am I just lucky?  I am not intending to spray or net, plenty of other things on the list to do.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 09:08 »
When I sow in Mid March, usually direct into the soil, I very rarely get any damage, probably because they flower before the pea moth is about. This year because of the cold spring they were about a month later - and I have much more caterpillar damage  :(

Beetroot queen

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 09:37 »
When I sow in Mid March, usually direct into the soil, I very rarely get any damage, probably because they flower before the pea moth is about. This year because of the cold spring they were about a month later - and I have much more caterpillar damage  :(

We have the same, enviromesh is great but so expensive too.

thumbup
Pea moth

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 11:16
by Sweet Pea 2
xx
Pea Moth

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 30, 2024, 20:07
by Snow
xx
pea moth

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 15:51
by mumofstig
xx
Pea moth?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 17:34
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 38 queries.