Sweetcorn root disturbance

• 5 Replies

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn root disturbance
« on: June 08, 2013, 20:39 »
I've read a few times that sweetcorn doesn't like having it's roots disturbed when planting out. If you do disturb the roots, what happens?? Does it not grow...does it die...does it get a tattoo, put on a leather jacket and buy a motorbike??

How much disturbance are we talking about as well? Does just getting it out of a module equal 'disturbance' or is it a bit less sensitive than that!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn root disturbance
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 21:13 »
I try not to break any roots, but I haven't noticed it being that fussy tbh  :nowink:

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 23:33 »
Thanks...I shall sleep easy tonight knowing that my corn plants aren't going to bitching about me  :)

seaside

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 06:36 »
It's the sulking that's the problem and a bad transplanting practice is but one possible cause, as with all plants. Temperature, moisture, and shelter from wind early on are also sulk factors. A couple of neighbours planted theirs out over a fortnight ago, unfortunately just before some high winds. They both have quite a few sulkers.
They like to get on with their business quickly from almost immediately the second they germinate in perfect conditions. One can see the growth every day. They don't like that momentum being interrupted. If the root ball is transplanted in in one piece, and in reasonable time, they don't appear to suffer much while the roots are straightening themselves up in the ground.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 06:42 »
We found the thickish white roots were quite happy in the bottom of their square plastic pots, and had started to curl round as they do...

The root ball stayed pretty much intact, so let's hope they liked being planted out - they looked fine after a couple of days!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 09:05 »
That's exactly the way I like mine when I plant them out. The come clean out with no disturbance.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Root disturbance in various vegetables.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2013, 17:19
by Totty
xx
Sharing pots and root disturbance... Question.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 20:31
by Benandbill
xx
root trainers for sweetcorn

Started by spudlover on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 15, 2013, 19:38
by 8doubles
xx
How Much Root??

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 19:58
by Yorkie

Page created in 1.661 seconds with 32 queries.